Free Beer Tomorrow, the 63rd anniversary of my final mission (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Congratulation Sam, it was not just a well done job; it was a great sacrifice you and your generation did for our nation and the world.

Sam, I do not of course know you and am considerably younger than you. And of course I am not a citizen of any of the Allied nations in WW II either! And finally...I don't drink alcohol...

AND YET at that time, I shall lift a glass of mineral water, bow my head, close my eyes, and mentally salute you, Sir!

Thank you Sam for your courage and sacrifice, so we can live free today......

I will be buying your book in a few weeks.

John

Hey Sam

Outstanding.

To those of us today who where not around then...or too young...during the last Big One, we can only guess at what it must have been like going on ops.

We can read reports and books and look at pictures and watch glorified films but without the memories from those who where there...you have have a great site !..., its all a bit 'safe' to the modern generation. Then, of course, they were state of the art, fighting machines, now they are a reminder of what happened and a tribute to the original crews who went and sometimes didnt come back.

Unlike your tour...with all the associated hassle of cold, flack, fighters, weather, equipment reliability...I've so far had two sorties in B-17 'Fuddy Duddy' (Which I am sure you will know about) and one in B-25 'Pacific Prowler'. One of the over-riding memories of those trips was the total lack of protection for the crew. You guys went about your business standing on thin sheet Ali and at umpteen thousand feet fechrissakes !. My trips where at about 2500 feet and safe and secure with no-one out there trying to do me in.

I've been all over the 'Fort both on the ground and in the air and it does get very busy with fare paying passengers resplendant in shorts and T-shirts trying to get the best photo opportunities. How the 'ell you guys worked in the kit you had to have...the flack jacket (I had one until recently) is not exactly an aid to moving is it ?... even less so over your flight kit and as for the trip over the bomb bay on that 9" wide walkway, is beyond me.

In short, we are indebted to both you and your buddies and even tho' I am not in the Military, I salute you as a mark of deep respect, for what you did and achieved. Like I said at the beginning...Outstanding!.

Sorry, almost forgot, beer duly raised !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back