Fröhliche Klaus Tag !

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Erich

the old Sage
May 20, 2004
Platonic Sphere
well guys/gals this little old guy was sneaking around my laundry room this early morn about 5am and I caught him trying to dump a load of coal in one of my work boots............

g9.jpg

think my wife and him were trying to work on a little joke ........ hmmmmmm

anyway the old German tradition is the happy greeting of having a shoe filled with nuts and candies, ( and plenty of monies :lol:) or if you were an old coot a switch on the hind end by Sanct Nikolaus's ~ Knecht Ruprecht. Didn't see him this morn think he was at the neighbors beating the crap out of those little cretins...........hopefully

in any case have a groovy Happy Klaus day to all

Uh-Oh, I better check my hunting boots I left in the basement last night!!! Old Mr. Klaus probably left something pretty nasty in them for me this year.

We have Sinterklaas here in the NL, only it's on december the 5th. But he arrives 3 weeks earlier and during those weeks, childeren are allowed to put their shoes next to the chimney, so it can be filled with candy

interesting I thought it was on the 6th all over Europe. hopeful no coal in your shoes guys.........I almost got some, but threw it in the fireplace.

it is nearly forgotten here in the States, everyone is so focused on the jolly red fat man with the monster bag of STUFF

Well its a great tradition and prepares you for Christmas and because of that all kids love December at least here :D

WIKIPEDIA:
Sinterklaas (also called Sint-Nicolaas in Dutch and Saint Nicolas in French) is a holiday tradition in the Netherlands and Belgium, celebrated every year on Saint Nicholas' eve (December 5) or, in Belgium, on the morning of December 6. The feast celebrates the name day of Saint Nicholas, patron saint of, among other things, children.

It is also celebrated to a lesser extent in parts of France (North, Alsace, Lorraine), as well as in Luxembourg, Switzerland, Germany, Austria, Poland, Hungary, Croatia, Romania, the Czech Republic and in the town of Trieste and in Eastern Friuli in Italy. The traditions differ from country to country, even between Belgium and the Netherlands.

In the Netherlands, Saint Nicholas' Eve, (December 5) is the chief occasion for gift-giving. The evening is called pakjesavond ("presents' evening"). Traditionally, presents are ingeniously wrapped, and are therefore called surprises. Also, presents are traditionally accompanied by a poem from Saint Nicholas.

Sinterklaas is the basis for the North American figure of Santa Claus. It was during the American War of Independence, that the inhabitants of New York City, a former Dutch colonial town (New Amsterdam) which had been swapped by the Dutch for other territories, reinvented their Sinterklaas tradition, as Saint Nicholas was a symbol of the city's non-English past.[1] The name Santa Claus is derived from older Dutch Sinte Klaas.
250px-Sinterklaas_2007.jpg

same to you Becca, yes it a nutz time of year, the Mrs and I are in the middle of baking 2 Stollens...............hmmmmmmmmm ummie

Users who are viewing this thread

Back