Frog modell kits question

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

aircro

Airman 1st Class
Jan 10, 2009
Does anybody made or have unmade Frog 1/72 kits:
Fairey Barracuda
Martin Maryland
Martin Baltimore?
It interests me acurracy and some details like engines(last two). I have option to buy them so ...

Sorry, I haven't got the kits, but for the time they were produced, they were as accurate as can be expected. The Frog range produced some nice, of perhaps a little basic, in some parts, kits. By today's standards, they might not be as refined, or accurate in detail parts, but some very nice models could be produced from the kits.
The company ceased producing kits around the late 1960s to early 1970s, but many can be found, in simple packaging, under the 'Novo' brand label. The latter may not be as cleanly moulded as the original.
From what I remember, the three kits you mention were fairly late additions to the range, and should be acceptable. I remember building the Baltimore back in the late 60s, and thinking , even then, that it was quite good. As for engines and other small details, they were the norm for the time, and acceptable if not particularly well detailed, but better after market examples can always be added if required.

Thanks Airframes. I just now watching now some (hard to find) photos of building up (from some forum)Frog Baltimore and it looks ok - even nose transparency looks ok.

Very basic but usually accurate. Detail needed in cockpit and landing gear area. I find the plastic is brittle so be gentle.
Ed

That's one thing I remember about this kit - the nose transparency was cleanly moulded , and nice an and clear. The Frog kits used to have a nicely engraved framework on the transparent parts, which allowed ease of painting, and looked very realistic once done.
The interior detail of the kits was minimal and basic, but allowed room for simple scratch-building as required, and was better, overall, than Frog's contempories of the time, such as Airfix. I particularly remember such items as landing gear legs being nicely produced and, for the time, quite well detailed, if simple.

There are build reviews of both the Barracuda and Maryland on Modeling Madness. They seem to be Ok Kits, just not up to modern standards.
Kit Review Index

Users who are viewing this thread

Back