from the shelf of doom. Special Hobby 1/32 Tempest Mk V

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Papa Tango Whiskey

Airman 1st Class
Jul 9, 2016
Tulsa
I have been going from one kit box to another to figure out what I want to do. I do hate being idle but with all the irons I have in the fire I shouldn't have that problem. What I am doing is this; I get bored with a build then I go back to one that I have on the shelf. I'll build on it a while then on to another. I try not to open another new kit until I have finished a shelf queen. In this case I have two of the Special Hobby Tempest Mk Vs. One is the high tech and the other is the basic kit. This one I started a few months back, around last November, and I just lost interest in it. I bought the barracuda resin cowl set that contains the cowl and four bladed prop and spinner with the gauge for getting the prop blades on right.

I guess the most challenging part to the build is the pit,for me at least, because it is still some what a limited run kit. Personally I don't have a good record finishing limited run stuff and that is because I get frustrated with the kit and usually wind up giving it away. The wing and wheel well assemblies are a bit of a work out in their own right but I had then in their places in short order. As far as the new Barracuda cowl goes, it is a real nice piece of resin and fits the fuse pretty well. The radiator had to be reshaped quite a bit to fit snugly but after all was said and done I got a good feeling that this will be one nice kit when done.

IMG_2138.jpg

IMG_2139.jpg

IMG_2140.jpg

IMG_2141.jpg

Once the canopy goes on then there wont be too much to see in there.

The kit had nice instructions and the high tech kit has ALL of the goodies including a very nicely detailed Napier Sabre engine. I may just have to get started on that one after Christmas some time.

Cheers

Paul

Good stuff! Looks to be closer to being finished than not. I do the same with kits lately, get bogged down adding this and correcting that, then get to where I just want to start something fresh. Hang in there, she's shaping up to be a looker. ;)

It would be a shame not to finish it after all that (good) work; looks really nice to me. What's the advantage of the resin nose over the kit parts?

Very good progress and good that you're going to retake, Paul.
The same thing happens to me, of losing interest, and with good results I ended up with a N1K1 prototype, while I was in a long process with my B-25G ... it seems that I will finally be able to finish.
I will be attentive to your progress, they are a couple of different but interesting airplanes that you have... We will see what follows.

Saludos :thumbup:

Finally I see some progress on this build. All of the flying surfaces are secured in place and I finally got some alclad II surface primer and micro filler. after a thorough airbrush cleaning I shot it and then burnished all of the roughness out. I then used my tape for curves, which reminds me of the vinyl electricians tape we used in the navy, and came as close as I could to the camo pattern that is depicted in the instructions. I know there are some areas that look too squared off or too round but that , I believe, is the nature of the tape. I didn't want to use the blue tac because it is pretty old and getting time to toss it . It is now leaving residue and that really messes with the paint.

I did lay down the dark sea gray before I taped it and I hope I can find the dark green that I need. The last that I saw of it it was running around the Swordfish box.

IMG_2142.jpg

IMG_2143.jpg

IMG_2144.jpg

Nice. I just got some of that 2mm bendy tape and used it on my D.520 as a test. I didn't de-tackify it as one does with the normal Tamiya tape and there was no lifting of paint. Maybe I got lucky....I dunno.

Last edited:
Nice. I just got some of that 2mm bendy tape and used it on my D.520 as a test. I didn't de-tackify it as one does with the normal Tamiya tape and the was no lifting of paint. Maybe I got lucky....I dunno.
I laid down a good coat of alclad so I am not really worried about lifting

I started painting it today and got the sequence backwards and then everything went wonky. Repainted the correct gray and now I am going back over it and should have more pics in a day or two.

This build is solely intended as a practice for some D-Day theme build at the club I belong to. They a int perfect but I dont know when they ever were.

IMG_2173.jpg

IMG_2174.jpg

IMG_2175.jpg

I just did the upper wing surface and I figured that tomorrow I can get the lower wings and the fuselage bands all done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back