Fujimi Fw190 A

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

usetherudders

Airman
Nov 2, 2011
Cardiff
Here's my latest finish build. The old Fujimi Fw190 kit. I've finished it as the A5 of Walter Nowotny JG54/1 Orel Russia 1943.

P1020860.jpg
P1020863.jpg
P1020862.jpg
P1020861.jpg

Looking very nice. However the antenna wire should have been made of thin smooth thread and more tight. The one you used seems to be a little too "shaggy". It will result in getting dust and becoming more and more "furry" in the future. And it doesn't look good.

Anyway , a very good job on the model. I like it.

Thanks for the comments guys, Wurger I totally agree! I just need to raid the wife's hairbrush or some good lengths lol, failing that some thin fish wire.

What do you guys use?

I use threads that can be easy unstitched from women' tights. These of graphit, grey or black colours ones are very useful because you don't need to paint them. Also it is easy to stick them with either CA glue or a glue for polistyrene. And these are very smooth and can be stretched in order to get a fine stringing.

Here is my Spitfire of 1/72 scale as an example.

watermark.php

Good stuff, I agree with Wojtek. In 1/48th scale, I use 'invisible' mending thread for antenna wires normally, although sometimes very finely stretched sprue, depending on the aircraft. The threads from stockings are great for smaller scales or finer wires.

Agree with all above, if the antenna wire can be replaced with slimmer (smooth single strand) and tighter thread, that will be a very nice model and well finished.

There are a few options, many stores sell invisible mending thread (Dunelm Mills, Hobbycraft, some supermarkets etc) which is very fine smooth nylon type thread, but best of all is something with a bit of elasticity as virtually anything else can sag slightly in differing environmental conditions. Another option is stretched sprue, which can be heated and stretched very finely with the right technique.

I'm not keen on the 'elastic' type of thread, as maintaining tension can sometimes be difficult and, in worst cases, bend, or break the antenna mast. With the 'invisible' thread, once fitted, any sag can be remedied by carefully and gently heating, by passing a cigarette lighter or candle flame along its length, an inch or more away from the 'wire'.

Thanks again guys, invisible mending thread it is, I shall be sending the wife to Dunelm Mills as if she needs an excuse to go there :)

I have two Soviet fighters that need their antenna wires done so will do all three in one hit.

Looks like it might work. However, being wound on a card gives the thread a permanent 'kink' the width of the card, restricting the usable length. Better if you can get a 'bobbin', available in clear, and a number of 'smoke' colours, made by Coats, and also SPT, among others. Normally around £1 for a 200 metre 'bobbin'.

The nylon thread arrived today and the washing line antenna has been removed and replaced, looks much better!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back