Future (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Great explanation Joe.
Daniel, if you mean the Humbrol acrylic matt varnish, then it's not bad, but needs a lot of stirring (as all matt varnishes do) to ensure it is matt when applied, and will not leave white streaks or blemishes. (the crystaline additves mentioned by Sweb). BUT! For the very small size of the container, I personally think it is extremely expensive, especially as it doesn't go very far.
I used to use enamel matt varnish, but, like most of this type, they yellow after time. What I use now is Tamiya Flat Base, which I add to Johnson's Klear (Future). By varying the amount added, you'll be able to produce anything from totally matt, thrrough a slight sheen, to semi matt and semi gloss. Only mix enough for immediate use, or a small qauntity that can be stored in a small, air tight jar, such as an empty Tamiya paint jar, rather than try to convert a whole bottle of Klear! You'll need to do a bit of 'trial and error' in order to establish the right proportion of Flat Base to add for the required finish, but as it dries quickly, you can test it by brushing a small amount onto some scrap plastic, even a piece of sprue or similar. If it should dry with the white cloudy streaks mentioned above, then add a tiny bit more Klear, testing again, adding as neccessary, until you achieve the desired finish.

Flattening agent, which I have used in acrylic 2-part systems, is a crystalline additive. It is a special silicon micro crystal powder (usually dispersed in a vehicle) that has been exposed to a paraffin. During cure the silicon crystals are borne to the surface of the finish due to the wax and arrange themselves in random (patternless) that is microscopically rough, though smooth to the touch. In this arrangement there is no common refractory plane but rather a plane that is broken up causing light to reflect omni-directionally rather than unilaterally. The result is a lusterless look varying with the amount of agent used.

Strewth! now THAT's an explanation Sweb!:D

In the UK, what is now sold as Klear, is a completely new formula and not at all suitable for use on models. You might still be able to find old stocks of the original Klear but if it smells of lemons it's only good for your floor. Don't know abouit the rest of the world but I presume that the new formula will eventually be introduced everywhere.

Heck! Thanks for the warning Antoni! I think I'll stock up if possible. I wonder if Johnson's have cottoned on to the fact that x thousand modellers across the world are using their product as a very cheap alternative to 'modelling' acrylic varnish!?
Do you happen to know if the 'new' Klear is this 'Pledge Klear', I believe in a white, or possibly opaque bottle?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back