FW 190 Paint questions

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

PCScipio42

Airman 1st Class
May 9, 2012
Baltimore
Starting a FW 190 by AMT in 1/48 scale. Can't resist the decal and will be doing the FW190A of II/JG "Grun Herz". It's an older kit so I think I should coat the decals with something before putting on plane. Will clear coat suffice?

Also- would this be a RLM 74/75/76 scheme?

Cockpit calls for grey, so I am guessing RLM 66. What color are the dials, white? Fair amount of detail in cockpit to the the left and right of the pilot. Black or red knobs or a mix?

FW 190A 001.JPG
FW 190A 002.JPG
FW 190A 003.JPG

RLM 74/75/76. for profile and box art show. For JG 54 - what location and date?
Cockpit RLM 66
Instruments black with white figures and indicator needles.
Colour of switches dependant on function - predominantly black, but fuel associated= yellow, coolant = blue/white, oil = brown, oxygen = blue etc etc.

Thanks for all your help. Found some good pics online of cockpit. This one is for Dad, so trying to do a bang up job.

Any suggestions on what colors Luftwaffe pilots gear? Dad likes pilots in the planes.

JG54? I think the year would be 1944.

A brown almost tannish "poopy suit", dark green harness, leather flying helmet with light tan, almost white goggle straps, I have found dark blue lenses look better than silver. Black boots, and gloves of almost any shade. The LW used a special patch denoting rank on the arm, you will have to look that up to get the one you want. Rubber oxygen mask and hose, that should do it.

Mix and match. Tons of photos of pilots wearing elements of different flight gear,even from different times. The old 1940 "channel trousers" seem to have remained popular. I guess that they were comfortable!

This will give an idea.

luftwaffeflightgear2_web.gif

I've seen first hand various pairs of WW2 Luftwaffe gloves that vary in colour from an almost blue grey,through shades of tan and brown to black

Steve

So, on the camo, JG54 was known for it's unique, field-applied camo schemes so without knowing which particular aircraft you're thinking of doing, it's really tough to say what colours you model should be. Many of the JG54 rigs on the Eastern front had an overall green camo, some with brown patches.

Another note on flight gear - a very common garb for 1944 was the 'Canal pants' and a matching jacket, similar to the one shown above in leather, but in the blue grey gabardine material. Note the yellow arm band on the figure in black leather - this was a 'goolie chit' of sorts, designed to inform German civilians that the wearer was a Luftwaffe aircrew member, and not a 'Terror Flieger' , the intention being to prevent assault or impromptu shooting/lynching.

Here's a pretty standard pair of channel pants,the unheated version.

unheatedchannelpants.gif

The scheme on a JG 54 aircraft (and many others) is very date and place dependent.

Steve

Last edited:
Here's the old 1/32nd scale Hasegawa kit, in the mid 1944 scheme when on Reich Defence. The yellow nose ring is incorrect though, but was based on info available at the time the model was built, about 34 years ago!

Attachments

• rochie 003.jpg
    rochie 003.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 140
Progress so far. Is the armor plate really brown as outlined in directions? I have some seams to work on, even after a little bit of filing and sanding.

FW 190 001.JPG
FW 190 002.JPG
FW 190 003.JPG

If you mean the armour plate head protection, it was the same colour as the interior - RLM66, with a red brown leather head rest.

On the 76 part of the paint job, how far up the sides of the fuselage does it come up or is it just the the bottom of the plane?

The RLM76 colour was applied overall on sides as memo serves. But the demarcation line for these top camo spots on sides depended on a particular plane and the mottling done. So you need to find a picture of the kite you want to make.

Updated progress...some tidying up to do, but pleased so far. The squiggles and mottling are next, what color are those done with?

033.JPG
034.JPG
035.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back