FW 190 Paint questions (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Usually the mottling was done with these same colours top camo was painted. Also, the top camo spots were applied on the fuselage top behind the cockpit and run to and on the fin leading edge too.

As above. The mottle from the factories was minimal,certainly when compared with that applied by the various Messerschmitt plants. Many Fw 190s up to the A-3/A-4 era have no factory applied mottle at all.

RLM 02 was often used in post production mottle and sometimes sprayed in a highly thinned coat over the entire fuselage side and fin. The Fw190 is somewhat slab sided and this might explain the urge to tone down the light RLM 76.

Cheers
Steve

About done...a few mistakes...white band towards tail is too thin, mottles should be smaller, never did figure out where the dotted lines on the one decal cam from. No frontal view as the landing gear is giving me fits. All in all, I'm pleased with the overall look. Thanks to everyone for their help.

001reduced.jpg
002reduced.jpg
004reduced.jpg

Looking very good. :thumbright:

These dotted lines should be applied on wing tops. Here you are examples....

fw190a8-ed-03.jpg

fw190a8raubautzcw_16.jpg

As far as the red rudder and the underside of the engine cowling are concerned... I'm not sure but these might have been yellow.

Last edited:
The red underside was depicted on the box for the model. But there were nostalgic factors involved here, too. The second plane I ever did when I was a kid was a Hasegawa 1/32 FW 190. I think I got it at Toys R Us for about $5.00 in the mid 70's. I built it thinking that I was doing a much better job with the FW 190 than what I did with my first model, a Revell P-40. It didn't dawn on me on that time that the pieces fit much better on that kit. Anyway, I built it and Dad painted it with a red underside and hung it in my room. Dad requested a FW 190 so thought it might be kind of neat to give it a red underside on this one.

Learned a bit on mottling and other things....so it's all good!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back