Fw 190 spinning characteristics (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Trilisser

Airman 1st Class
May 22, 2011
Any information on this? I have not seen Fw 190 spinning and spin recovery characteristics discussed in any book. Neither does any Fw 190 docs reproduced on www.wwiiaircraftperformance.org discuss it.

Any information on this? I have not seen Fw 190 spinning and spin recovery characteristics discussed in any book. Neither does any Fw 190 docs reproduced on www.wwiiaircraftperformance.org discuss it.
I have read that due to the construction of the Fw 190 wing, "power on" stall characteristics could lead to a vicious stall, spin and tumble. But this involves discussion of things like "spanwise lift distribution" that are way above my pay grade. From memory the wing had around 2% washout but there was a section that had no washout at all.

Last edited:
I have read that due to the construction of the Fw 190 wing, "power on" stall characteristics could lead to a vicious stall, spin and tumble. But this involves discussion of things like "spanwise lift distribution" that are way above my pay grade. From memory the wing had around 2% washout but there was a section that had no washout at all.
From what I understand it was always in the same direction and some "expert" pilots used the maneuver as an escape maneuver.

Outer 20% had zero washout.

Last edited:
That's easy for you to say, don't ask me what it means in terms of span wise lift distribution though:D. 95% of my knowledge on this is contained in the attached document, which I can follow but couldnt argue for or against without it in front of me. For example much of the "twist" in the wing must be in the prop wash region. http://www.wwiiaircraftperformance.org/mustang/Lednicer_Fighter_Aerodynamics.pdf
I sent that doc many years ago. FWIIW

The drag area immersed in the prop vortex is essentially the diameter of the prop. The upwash wing will tend to stall out first.The washout of the Fw 190 wing extends beyond the prop vortex.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back