Fw190A question

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I don't think that was the reason some pilots deleted them. How many aircraft had armor around their wing armament anyways.

Not many. The A-8/R8 was to carry a 20mm frontal shield with small 4mm upper and bottom shields. (4mm is
no protection at all against .50 cal.)

The problem was the ammo box configuration instead of a long disentegrating belt of ammo. A hit in
the box might detonate 100 rounds of tightly stacked 20mm which was eqivalent to a many sticks of
dynamite.

Moss

Last edited:
I already stated the obvious to you gentlemen as to why this was so, only the aces early on in 1944 were able to home in on US bomber formations with expertise and shoot them down with only twin 2cm weapons the average pilot needed the added firepower of the outter arms, JG 301 divided up their I. and II. gruppe all inclusive with A-8 and A-9's and in those two gruppen had a heavy staffel and the lighter staffel to take on high altitude US craft starting at the beginning of 1944 though was not in effect on ops till 21 November..

Not many. The A-8/R8 was to carry a 20mm frontal shield with small 4mm upper and bottom shields. (4mm is no protection at all against .50 cal.)
Moss

Unfortunately you have forgotten about adding that there was a big radial engine in front of the frontal shield .

Here you are more on the subject.

Here is the standard armour set for Fw190A.

5. the windshield 50mm armoured glass.
8. a back of pilot seat - armoured plate 8mm
9. armoured plate behind a pilot's back - 5mm
10 two armoured plates mounted to the cross-section no.5 - 5mm
11 armoured plate behind a pilot's head - 12mm ( 20mm for A-8/R8 )

In addition.... A-8/R7 and A-8/R8 had mounted the armoured basis of the windshield -15mm, two triangular armoured plates of 4mm on both sides of the windshield basis, the horizontal panel in front of the basis - 4mm.Two 30mm armoured glasses of the windshield sides.
For sturmbocks there were added two armoured plates outside of the cockpit - 5mm and 30mm armoured glasses on the slided cockpit conopy.

110016.jpg

in addition some SturmFw had leading edges of the wings armored and under the belly similar to the groundattack F and G variants

Users who are viewing this thread

Back