Galland 109E-3 OR 4

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

amiers

Recruit
Aug 7, 2008
Hi all, new to this forum. i am after information regarding Adolf Galland's 109E's during 1940.

i need to know if the camo of 02/71/65 with 02 mottle was used on any aircraft he flew that had the Mickey Mouse emblem on the side? i have found reference to an E-4 with 74/75/76 but i thought this scheme was introduced on the 109F. Any help would be great.

regards Anthony

Yes I agree. Although I have found in some older books about Bf109E that it was RLM 74/75/76 scheme but in my latest purchase I found that it was RLM71/02/65.

Yea it is interesting.In the B&W pics it is very hard to recoginze what colours were used.Unless these BF109 were of early 40's scheme without making sides darker.
Hej Wayne...in the new book I found the colour profile of Galland's Bf109E-3 flown by him in August 1940.The aircraft carried non-standard camo scheme which was very light.Have you seen a pic of this machine?

You mean this one?

Photo Credit :Adolf Galland Mushroom Model Special

Attachments

• Galland Bf109E3 Chev Triangle 22a.jpg
    Galland Bf109E3 Chev Triangle 22a.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 285
You mean this one?

Photo Credit :Adolf Galland Mushroom Model Special

Yes Wayne, that's it.It seems that the Bf was painted with RLM65 on sides and lower surfaces.On upper surfaces it was mixed non-standard grey or blue grey colour or RLM02, mottling of RLM70/71.Interesting doesn't it?

Thank you V2 for these profiles.For sure they will come in handy.:D :D :D

And here an extract form V2's profiles.

Attachments

• Galland Bf109E-3_s.jpg
    Galland Bf109E-3_s.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 954
I have modelled this particular Galland aircraft sometime ago and used 'Greys'.

It is difficult to know exactly what colours were used in this supposedly 'experimental' scheme, a few different combinations have been noted in various publications.

I think you are right.Looking at the pic I've gotten an impression that the light colour was applied on the standard RLM71/02 camo pattern.

Didn't realise I had these shots...

here is the 'odd' coloured E-3, that I did many years ago. There is one photo which I think shows the top of the rudder with the earliest initial application of the yellow ID marking, before all sorts of yellow ID was used....

This aircraft also has additional antenna wiring extending to both tail planes!

Plus carried non standard broad upper wing crosses...

Attachments

• Galland E3 a.jpg
    Galland E3 a.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 201
  • Galland E3 b.jpg
    Galland E3 b.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 258
  • Galland E3 e.jpg
    Galland E3 e.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 230

Users who are viewing this thread

Back