Galland's '109's.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Airframes

Benevolens Magister
Aug 24, 2008
Cheshire, UK
Following on from the great pic posted by Grau Geist in the "Is modelling educational" thread, here's a little more info on some of the Messerschmitt 109's flown by Adolf Galland. It is by no means a comprehensive review of his aircraft, and I have refrained from posting all of the images I have found in books to date. If anyone else has more info, I, and I'm sure others, would love to see it.
As you will know, Adolf Galland started in WW2 as a Staffelkapitan with 4/LG2, flying Henschel HS 123 ground-attack biplanes. By April 1940, he'd moved to JG27 as Geschwader Adjutant, and then, on 6 June he was appointed as Gruppenkommandeur of III/JG26. At this time, his aircraft was a Me109E, with the blue 65 extending up the sides of the fuselage, which bore the 9 Staffel 'Hollenhund' badge. The Werke Nr. is not known.
By the time of the Battle of Britain, Galland was using another 'E', which was camouflaged in an unusual grey 75 mottle on ALL uppersurfaces, with blue 65 sides, and a black green 70 spinner. The fin and rudder was blue 65, with the grey mottle on the top half, the rudder bearing his victory bars in black, which, by mid-August, totalled 22.
By late August, Galland succeeded Handrick as Geschwader Kommodore, when he then flew a new aircraft, Werke Nr. 5819 for the remainder of the Battle of Britain, and up to April, 1941.
This aircraft was repainted more than once, and the shape and size of the Kommodore Winkel also changed. At one time, it was updated and re-engined, presumably with a DB601N, as the fuel triangle was changed to a 'C3' type, which is visible in the pic posted by Grau Geist. Photos 1 and 2 below show this aircraft, and it would appear that No 2 was taken around September, when the aircraft shows the '87' fuel triangle. Photo 2 also shows the capped spinner, painted, like the rest of the spinner, in white. Other shots of this aircraft show the uncapped spinner, and it is believed that this cap was eventually painted red. The spinner back-plate was black-green 70 in both cases. Werke Nr.5819 at one time displayed a yellow 04 top half to its rudder and, by late September 1940, it carried 40 victory bars. When the aircraft was later re-painted, with the well-known Mickey Mouse emblem being masked during the process, and the Schlageter badge appearing with slight differences, it is presumed that the area bearing the victory bars was also masked, as this then appeared as a blue 65 'patch', within the yellow 04 area, and by December 5, this 'patch' displayed 57 victory bars.
Apart from the changes to the colour scheme, Werke Nr.5819 also had some of Galland's personal modifications, including his famous cigar lighter in the cockpit (!) and the tele-sight through the un-armoured windshield, the latter clearly visible in photo No1. The canopy armour plate also lacked the curved head protection piece. This aircraft was eventually transferred to Egr.Gr.26, where it is thought that it bore a yellow '16' on the rear fuselage, as per the old 'Matchbox' 1/32nd scale kit. It also displayed the double-chevron Winkel of the Gruppenkommandeur, and a somewhat unusual splinter pattern on the upper wings, which did not appear to follow the 'standard' pattern. It also retained Galland's 'score board', this time in a different style on an all yellow rudder, and the tail-wheel aperture was faired over with sheet metal, a common field modification. (This was done during Galland's 'ownership')
After a rest period and refitting, JG26, with the exception of 7 Staffel under the command of Joachim Muncheberg in Gela, Sicily, moved to Guipavas, Brittany, and it was here that Galland started to use the Me109F-0, with the tele-sight fitted. This 109 was finished in 74, 75 over 76, with yellow 04 cowling and spinner, and, it is believed that the rudder was also yellow, with 58 victory bars.
When the unit moved back to the Pas De Calais area in the summer of 1941, with HQ at Audembert, Galland, from June until December, when he was appointed Inspecktor der Jagdflieger, flew two modified Me109 F's, one of which was believed to be Weke Nr. 5750, referred to as a Me109F6/U, and had a MG/FF cannon mounted in each wing, the modification being carried out at unit level. This was no mean achievement, as the weight of the weapons and ammunition, plus the stresses on the relatively lighter wing, must have been tremendous. The second machine, Werke Nr. unknown, was designated as a Me109F-2/U. This did not have the wing cannon, but the 7.92mm MG17's were replaced by two 13mm MG's, the breeches/receivers of which were accommodated by large blister fairings, which appeared 'smoother' and lower than those that eventually appeared on later 'G' models.
Both of these aircraft wore similar colour schemes of 74, 75 on upper surfaces, with 02 fuselage sides and a mottle of 74/75, and Weissblau 76 undersides. The spinners were black, whilst rudders were yellow 04, with the 'Oak Leaves' emblem, and 25 victory bars. The Winkel etc were in black and white, and the famous Mickey Mouse emblem was displayed beneath the cockpit sill. Photo 3, although poor quality, shows Werke Nr.5750, the 109F6/U, and the starboard wing cannon is just discernible.
If I am able in the not too distant future, I will produce and post some colour profiles to accompany this short article.
I trust that it has been interesting and useful and, if anyone can add any further info, I would be grateful.
Terry.

Attachments

• Galland 1.jpg
    Galland 1.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 278
  • Galland 2.jpg
    Galland 2.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 240
  • Galland 3.jpg
    Galland 3.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 361
Excellent information, Terry...that was a great read!

I think I have a cowl-view of a telescopic sight stashed away somewhere, let me see if I can find it...

- I just looked, and I no longer have it...not sure what happened to the dang image, sorry about that :(

Hi, Glider. Whether it was because of his eyesight (he had a 'defective' left eye), or because of the lighter armament of the '109F, or a combination of these is not known. In interviews, and in his own book, he has refused to talk about the armament or modifications. However, as the early 'F', with its single cannon and twin 7.92mm MG's, lacked the 'hitting power' of the 'E's' twin MG's and twin 20mm cannon, it is presumed that this is the reason for his modifications to the F6.
He was, as you pointed out, a very good shot, in the air and on the ground but, regardless of how accomplished a marksman, if the weight of the projectiles fired is less effective, particularly compared to what had been previously used, then it makes sense to 'up-gun'. This, of course, was born out by further developments in armament with the 'G' series onward.
If anyone has more detailed info on the wing mounted cannons in this aircraft, particularly anything showing the upper and lower wing panels, I would be very interested to see them. The above article is based on info gleaned over the years, the most recent being over twenty years old! Although it's unlikely there's further info, it's not impossible, so I live in hope!
Terry.

I find it interesting that despite being one of the best shots of the war felt that he needed extra guns in the 109F.

Thanks for the info

Sorry, I'm late to the discussion, which I found during a search on WWII aircraft armaments. Although the discussion is not pertinent to my original topic, it is quite interesting. Galland's reputation as a marksman (or marksperson in 21st century lingo) is high, but I also recall his favored attack position was from the 6 o'clock position, slightly below and that he eschewed deflection shooting, unlike Marseille or Rudorffer. Almost all or all of his victories were achieved from the 6 position. I wonder if the reason for this was simply Galland was not a good deflection shooter.

Hi P'guy, and welcome to the forum.
I read once, can't remember where, that Galland prefered the '6 o' clock' shooting position to ensure a 'kill', and that he was of 'the old school' when it came to air gunnery. That is, get behind, get in close, and rake it!
Makes sense I suppose, if one can obtain and hold that position, rather than possibly missing with all the variables of a deflection shot.
As to his ability with deflection shots, he was known to have been very good at it with game hunting and, as you probably know, was a good friend, and shooting companion, with R.S.Tuck, after the war, another good aerial shot.

Hi P'guy, and welcome to the forum.
I read once, can't remember where, that Galland prefered the '6 o' clock' shooting position to ensure a 'kill', and that he was of 'the old school' when it came to air gunnery. That is, get behind, get in close, and rake it!
Makes sense I suppose, if one can obtain and hold that position, rather than possibly missing with all the variables of a deflection shot.
As to his ability with deflection shots, he was known to have been very good at it with game hunting and, as you probably know, was a good friend, and shooting companion, with R.S.Tuck, after the war, another good aerial shot.

Thanks Airframes. I had forgotten about Galland's high interest in hunting. You are right, as a skilled hunter, Galland should have some talent in deflection shooting. As you pointed out, Galland probably eschewed deflection shooting in favor of behind and below at 6, close up, in aerial combat to ensure victory.

Thanks for making me feel welcome.

PG

Forum is great! 8)
This thread is very interesting for me, i would like to build 2 Adolph Gallands aircrafts Me-109 E3 and E4.

I have one (maby more :) ) question about Adolph Galland's Me-109E3?
From June 1940 on, Galland flew as a Gruppenkommandeur of III./Jagdgeschwader 26, was his aircraft a Me109E-3 with a "Dragon" on side? or this unique E3 with same chevrons and heavy mottling (maby is the same aircraft)?
Bf109E3.jpg

I saw in the book "Jagdwaffe vol2.2 Battle of Britain" picture of this aircraft (location Marquise). But i never see a real photo of E3 with red "Dragon"?

Thanks in advance!

Dusan.

As far as I know Dusan, Galland flew the aircraft illustrated, which had an unusual mottle on the ENTIRE top surfaces. Of course, he also used the E4's mentioned and shown previously in this thread. I can't be certain, but I don't think he used an aircraft with the 'Hollenhund' (Griffon) under the cockpit.

Thanks,

I also assumed that the Emil with 'Hollenhund' (Dragon by me:lol: ) was different aircraft from Jagdgeschwader 26 but i wasn't so sure. In Tamiya kit, mistake was made probably by the same chevron look and the same cammo. I will continue with my research...

All the best!

Dusan:)

Hi Dusan,

>'Hollenhund' (Dragon by me:lol: )

"Hellhound" is the verbatim translation, but I admit that I don't know what the nose art actually looked like :)

LEO Results for "Höllenhund"

By the way, "Höllenhund" would normally be transliterated as "Hoellenhund" if there is not Umlaut available.

(That's a general rule for all Umlauts ... use the basic vowel followed by an "e" - pretty simple even if you don't know German, and observing it will make you look like an expert :)

Regards,

Henning (HoHun)

As far as I know Dusan, Galland flew the aircraft illustrated, which had an unusual mottle on the ENTIRE top surfaces. Of course, he also used the E4's mentioned and shown previously in this thread. I can't be certain, but I don't think he used an aircraft with the 'Hollenhund' (Griffon) under the cockpit.

There is an image showing Galland in a Chevron-Triangle aircraft with the "hollenhund" emblem under the cockpit, it is listed as possibly W.Nr. 2764 or 5398.

Thanks Wayne, I'll have to check my references, as I now think there might be a pic or profile in there somewhere. Just stored the b****y lot away a couple of days ago! Darn, have to dig 'em out again! Problem is, one of the books I need I think has fallen down the back of a cabinet....either that or the Gremlins have stolen it!

Hello,

I've done with Adolph Gallands research for Me-109 E-3. Now i can go for it...
These are samples from my new book, and friends old book (1995y.)

AG.jpg

2009-02-11_180611copy.jpg

All the best!

Dusan:)

Well done Dusan! The first pic is the one I thought I'd seen sometime. Note that on both aircraft, the fuselage cross is the earlier, smaller cross _ I've known some modellers miss this point!
Looking forwars to seeing the results soon.
Terry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back