GB-40 1/32 Mosquito Mk IV - Heavy Hitters III

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

javlin

2nd Lieutenant
Nov 20, 2007
MS
Username: Javlin
First name: Kevin
Category: Intermediate
Scale: 1/32
Manufacturer: Revell/old
Model Type: Mosquito Mk IV
Aftermarket addons: aftermarket decals

gb40 002.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Brief history and the Pilot by the way was an American F/O Bud Fisher DFC

No. 105 Squadron began the war as part of the Advanced Air Striking Force, making it one of the first squadrons to be sent to France. The Fairey Battle squadrons suffered very heavy loses during the Battle of France, and No. 105 Squadron was no exception. It suffered so badly that on its return to Britain in June 1940 it immediately converted to the Bristol Blenheim, while many other Battle squadrons were simply re-equipped with the Fairey aircraft.

No. 105 Squadron used its Blenheims to attack German ports and airfields in occupied Europe, before shipping out to Malta in July 1941 to attack Axis shipping in the Mediterranean.

On its return from Malta, the squadron converted to the De Havilland Mosquito, receiving the unarmed bomber version of the Wooden Wonder. In May 1942 the squadron began to carry out the low level daylight raids that made this version of the Mosquito famous, but in June 1943 it was transferred to No.8 Group, and spent the rest of the war operating at night, acting as a Pathfinder squadron, using the Oboe radar system to guide the main bomber stream to its targets.

Aircraft
August 1937-June 1940: Fairey Battle I

mosquito_B_IV_105sqn.jpg
Mosquito B VI of No.105 Squadron

June 1940-May 1942: Bristol Blenheim IV
November 1941-March 1944: De Havilland Mosquito B.IV
July 1943-February 1946: De Havilland Mosquito B.IX
March 1944-February 1946: De Havilland Mosquito B.XVI

3-12 September 1939: Reims/ Champagne
12 September 1939-16 May 1940: Villeneuve-les-Vertus
16-22 May 1940: Echemines
22 May-14 June 1940: Nantes/ Chateau Bougon
14 June-10 July 1940: Honington
10 July-31 October 1940: Watton
31 October 1940-28 July 1941: Swanton Morley
28 July 1941-11 October 1942: Luqa (Malta)
8 December 1941-28 September 1942: Horsham St. Faith
28 September 1942-23 March 1944: Marham
23 March 1944-29 June 1945: Bourn

Squadron Codes: GB

Group and Duty
26 September 1939-June 1940: Bomber squadron with No.1 Group, 72 Wing, Advanced Air Striking Force
June 1940-July 1941: Bomber Command
July-October 1941: Malta
October 1941-June 1943: Bomber Command
June 1943-May 1945: No.8 Group as Pathfinder Squadron

Some pics of the kit and decals.This will be a slow build for me but doable no frills just try to get some good paint laid.I have a lot happening in the shop ATTM.

gb40 001.JPG

gb40 003.JPG

Good one Kevin.
There's a bit of work needed to get this old kit right, mainly around the engine nacelle to wing fillet, but it can be made into a very nice model.
The canopy is the biggest drawback, being rather high in profile.

It's a great proyect Kevin, ... starting with the size of the kit.
It will be very nice to see the wonders you can do to this old Revell mold.
Welcome to the group my friend. :thumbup:

Thks Guys I ordered some of Radu's early war Sutton Harness for the kit I don't know that pit sure is sparse isn't Terry?Started gluing the other night but going to wait for a couple of pieces to come in so not OOB anymore :dontknow: it's just the way it happens you know. :)

I agree - I used the kit part as a basis, and scratch-built my own panel, long before after-market parts were available, for the still to be progressed conversion to a FB.VI.
I have a 'Yahu' Mosquito panel in 1/48th scale, and it's fantastic, so the 1/32nd scale example should be the biz !

So just to let you guys know I have not been sleeping/working all the time.I got the Yahu IP in and started some small scratch in the copit.The first aid box is wood(Sapele) and plastic and an artistic license on the PE straps from leftovers.I had to replace one side of the control stick and thinking of doing the same to the other side seems they may of taken some license.Eduard makes a decent kit for panel front and not to expensive I think I will order that and some more harnesses to boot since I only order 1 from RB.It's going to be slow still working in the other side of the shop too.
gb40 001.JPG

gb40 002.JPG
edu33148.jpg

This goes out to Terry I have seen a few different designs/models of the bombardier seat backing and I found this build interesting from Britmodeler and think it might be easy to pull off.
imageproxy.php1.jpg

I'd say that reference is pretty good Kevin. Note that, if you are posing the crew hatch open, there are actually 2 hatches. The one you see in your reference is the inner one and is hinged on the starboard side so, when open, leaned against the starboard cockpit wall.

Yep, pretty good reference.
The top half of the navigator'r armour plate folded down to the rear, so can be modeled folded or in position.
In the pic you posted, the nav's harness shoulder straps are attached to the part of the armour that folded, and should be attached to the bulkead joint behind the 'fixed' armour plate, as shown on my 1/48th scale build below.

Mosquito PR.IX build 089.JPG
Mosquito PR.IX build 097.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back