GB-41 1/48 J1N1-S (Early) Gekko - PTO from 1937

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Luftace43

Senior Airman
Mar 16, 2018
User Name: Luftace
Name: Chad
Category: Advanced
Kit: Tamiya J1N1-S Gekko (Early)
Scale: 1/48
Accessories: Scratchbuilt details
0116190041-1.jpg

So I finally picked my next victim out of the stash. I've had this kit since it was first released. I was lucky enough to find the book to go with this at a hobby shop in Kentucky. I have also recently acquired the new AK Interactive IJN and IJA paint sets and will be using the IJN one for this build. I have two other books on the way that should answer a few things for me that I am undecided about as far as which specific aircraft I want to depict.

Lets jump on in.

My favorite part of any build is the cockpit and that is of course where I will start. Gonna do some minor detailing along the way as the kit is already very detailed and doesn't need a whole lot extra.

0110190256.jpg
First thing to take care of is the numerous ejector pin marks that will possibly be visible on the inside. I scraped them down with a curved Xacto blade the smoothed things out with a fiberglass pen. The fuselage half on the left has been worked over while the one on the right still has to be dealt with.

0116190016a.jpg0116190016b.jpg
The side consoles for the pilot had flat sides with no detail. I cut away, drilled and scribed both sides to better match pictures I had at hand. The starboard side was completely removed and styrene strips were added to represent framing. Before closing the fuselage I will add plumbing and wiring that will be seen through the newly opened areas.

0116190016c.jpg
In the rear cockpit area I added 2mm wide styrene strips to either side of the floor to extend it a bit. This will hopefully help hide the open areas caused by the way Tamiya molded the wing roots. I'm not up for extending the inner fuselage sides down to the floor as this would require obliterating a lot of the fine stringer and plumbing detail molded into the sides. The compromise was to widen the floor a bit instead. I am carefully checking and rechecking fit of the fuselage, wings and other areas as I make modifications so that I don't have anything come back to bite me later (hopefully).

IMG_20190116_003012.jpg
This is where the drift sight will be stowed, the kit part mounting in the two round receptacles. The arrows show where I replaced part of the kit mount with a piece styrene with lightening holes as well as two lightening holes drilled in the forward mount that will later hold an electric generator.

IMG_20190116_003522.jpg
I drilled holes in an electrical junction box that will have wiring feeding into the top from a switch box mounted above.

0111192249.jpg
This is the shelf that sits between the pilot and observer stations. It will be the most visible part of all the cockpit components so it will get some extra attention for sure.

IMG_20190116_021038.jpg
The housing for the RDF loop was removed with a razor saw and a better scale represention was made from .010 sheet styrene with lightening holes drilled. Also notice the hole drilled to the right of the compass to receive the compass wiring later.

0116190016.jpg
The shelf frame also had lightening holes marked out with a pencil and then drilled out.

0116190020.jpg
A bit hard to see but I added small triangles with a single drilled hole to flesh out the mounting frame for the airspeed indicator and altimeter that is mounted on the observer's instrument shelf. The kit already had the flat top part of this frame and I drilled two holes there as well, seen above the white triangle pieces.

That's all so far. I really want to start the painting already but I am making sure I don't get ahead of myself and planning out what to add and what to not bother with and how best to implement extra details.

Thanks for looking guys, will post more updates soon.

Last edited:
Jock Tamson Jock Tamson
Thanks Greg! It certainly is a nice kit, practically falls together.

fubar57 fubar57
Thanks George, you won't be dissappointed when you do get your hands on one.
As for the AK paints this will be my first time using them. I am really excited about these sets since they were matched to color chips provided by Nick Millman of AviationofJapan. Since I follow his research and know how accurate he tries to be in his analysis I figured these paints would be perfect for all my IJN/IJA aircraft needs.
The only problem is I don't own any other AK products or paints yet so will be doing some experimenting with compatability of using them with paints I already have.

Crimea_River Crimea_River
Drat! That's the one I wanted to participate in too! I forgot to check the theme for the next GB.
Perhaps I'll pick another kit to get started on so I can take part. Thanks for the reminder. :)

It wouldn't be a problem if you held off on this build now and put it in the next GB
I'll definitely give it some thought. Do I actually need to hold off working on it between now and then or just withhold updates until it gets moved to the group build thread if I were to participate with this build. I haven't done anymore work since I posted last.

Can't wait to see this finished when all your attention to detail comes to fruition. I moderate a FB group on Imperial Japanese military forces. If you would like to post pictures of the finished work I'm sure it would be appreciated. Membership is required. I have been posting a series of in depth looks at Japanese aircraft and the last series I did was on the Irving. Here are the links if anyone is interested:

Nakajima J1N Gekko - The Many Faces of Irving - Part 1: Development and Finding a Role

Nakajima J1N Gekko - The Many Faces of Irving - Part 2: Enter the Night Fighter

Nakajima J1N Gekko - The Many Faces of Irving - Part 3 Further Refinement and a Potential Replacement

You may find some pictures or drawings there that can help you with your project.

Thank you Windswords, I appreciate the invitation. Could you please PM me here with further information on your group?

I have decided to participate in the group build with this project after all, therefore will be holding off any further work on this build until then. Thanks again Andy for giving me the heads up before I made any real progress so that I can give the GB thing a go.

W Wojtek
If it is not too much trouble would you mind helping me to move this thread over and amending it to conform to the GB criteria when that time comes?

OK. The thread has been moved. I edited the title as well. But please edit the first post here and add the required for a GB header. It has to be at the top of the first post before the first pic attached there. If you aren't sure how the header should look like, please check other threads for other GBs, eg. for the GB40.
Also it was made "stick",. You may resume the work when the GB41 starts.

PS. your pictures are a little bit too large. This may cause a trouble with uploading of pages and scrolling of a screen for these who use slow net connection. I would suggest using of the Thumbnail option than the Full Image one for inserting pics to a post. Everyone who wants to watch the images larger may just click them what will start running the forum pic browser. The sift works really great and allows to browse large images smoothly.
Or you may resize them down on your comp before uploading here. The width of them can be 900-1024 pixels what is enough to keep the time of page uploading and screen scrolling at the nice level.

Nice, I had that kit but I have problems wanting to do Japanese WWII kits. I just don't know the subject very much and am down to the Zero and the Betty in my collection.

Nice, I had that kit but I have problems wanting to do Japanese WWII kits. I just don't know the subject very much and am down to the Zero and the Betty in my collection.
I feel the same way about US and British aircraft. Just haven't delved into those much yet since most of my time is spent researching the ins and outs of the Japanese ones. It can feel exhausting not knowing just where to start in ones research of something unfamiliar.

I have lots of books on Japanese aircraft Don added to the wealth of info from the other modelers. The same for you Chad, ask and ye shall receive

Users who are viewing this thread

Back