GB-41 1/72 P-61 Black Widow - PTO from 1937

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

SANCER

Senior Master Sergeant
Aug 21, 2014
México City
Username: SANCER
First name: Luis Carlos
Category: Advanced
Scale: 1/72
Manufacturer / Model: Profile Series / P-61 Black Widow
Extras: Everything seems to be OOB. This kit has its history, so I will see it coming up.

The art box:

1.jpg

A bit of history...
(I start to learn and know about the famous Black Widow) Courtesy of Wikipedia.

"... The Northrop P-61 Black Widow, named for the American spider, was the first operational U.S. warplane designed as a night fighter, and the first aircraft designed to use radar.
The P-61 had a crew of three: pilot, gunner, and radar operator. It was armed with four 20 mm (.79 in) Hispano M2 forward-firing cannon mounted in the lower fuselage, and four .50 in (12.7 mm) M2 Browning machine guns mounted in a remote-controlled dorsal gun turret.

It was an all-metal, twin-engine, twin-boom design developed during World War II. The first test flight was made on May 26, 1942, with the first production aircraft rolling off the assembly line in October 1943. The last aircraft was retired from government service in 1954.

Although not produced in the large numbers of its contemporaries, the Black Widow was effectively operated as a night-fighter by United States Army Air Forces squadrons in the European Theater, Pacific Theater, China Burma India Theater, and Mediterranean Theater during World War II. It replaced earlier British-designed night-fighter aircraft that had been updated to incorporate radar when it became available. After the war, the P-61—redesignated the F-61—served in the United States Air Force as a long-range, all-weather, day/night interceptor for Air Defense Command until 1948, and Fifth Air Force until 1950.

On the night of 14 August 1945, a P-61B of the 548th Night Fight Squadron named Lady in the Dark was unofficially credited with the last Allied air victory before VJ Day.

The P-61 was also modified to create the F-15 Reporter photo-reconnaissance aircraft for the United States Army Air Forces and subsequently used by the United States Air Force. ..."

That mention in Wikipedia (which I underlined and put in bold letters), called a lot My Attention, because in the kit´s old instruction sheet appears the same mention in that regard.
:-k ... :idea: :arrow: ... :thumbright:

I'm just going to start investigating the "Lady in the Dark", it makes me feel her as a memorable aircraft (although it is said to be unofficial merit), the fact of mentioning it, knowing its crew and features of that version. Will be intresting. :study:

The box in this kit has its history, because I bought it in the IPMS México of 2017, to give it to my father (he really likes the P-61).
I bought it in one of the guest business stands that all they sold were old kits, many of them previously open or started to assemble and I understood that some of the original content might be missing. Highly recommend by the owner of the stand, as a good kit and in very good conditions. We could see the inside of the box and I decided to buy it.

Upon learning that the box was kept intact on a shelf in my father´s study room, I offered to build his black widow so he could show it in his bookcase. Yesterday, I went to visit him and check the interior again regarding the instructions and "is very likely" to be complete!
What the kit does not have is the sheet decals, ... but as the version I intend to make of the "Lady in the Dark", I'll see how the lack of decals is resolved.

I share the instructions sheet:

2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg

In the green box is what motivated me to make this version.

5.jpg

I will begin gradually to investigate about my "L.D." :?:

The bag that contains the pieces; the branches that still keep "some" pieces in them; the big pieces and all the loose pieces.

6.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg
9.jpg

We found that the pilot had already been painted! :lol:

It will be my second model in 1/72 and I think the detail of the pieces is acceptable ...

10.jpg
11.jpg
12.jpg
13.jpg

I will have an opportunity to go looking for photos, plans, documenting me ... and start joining pieces!

Does anyone have any reference to this kit and brand?

All information is well received.

I hope you like our "Lady in the Dark"

Saludos :thumbup:
Luis Carlos

Surely something went wrong to post my thread (I do not see it in the right place :wacky:)
If a moderator can help me, I appreciate it.

Greetings :thumbup:

Luis,

Great choice. I have never heard of this model manufacturer before but the molds and part look very similar to those of the Airfix kit which was originally made in the 1960/70's. Typically Airfix of this age would have over scale raised rivets and panel lines like this kit, and very little internal details. However overall good in terms of the shapes and outline of the real thing. The transparent/clear parts are usually very thick, and have poor fit.

I am sure you will over come these short comings and enjoy detailing all the missing features.

All the best and good luck :D

Cheers Greg

Good one Luis, and yes, it is indeed the original late 1960s Airfix kit - General Mills, who at one time owned Airfix, marketed Airfix kits in the USA.

How about interior shots?
Thank you very much Geo, really the interior of the cabin is only flat floor and seats (is what I saw at first) I could not begin to see the existing detail in the pieces, for lack of time.
I also have to check the quality and current condition of the pieces transparent as Greg says.
You already know that "something" I can add so that it does not look like an interrogation room!
Welcome what you have my friend. :salute:
Luis,

Great choice. I have never heard of this model manufacturer before but the molds and part look very similar to those of the Airfix kit which was originally made in the 1960/70's. Typically Airfix of this age would have over scale raised rivets and panel lines like this kit, and very little internal details. However overall good in terms of the shapes and outline of the real thing. The transparent/clear parts are usually very thick, and have poor fit.

I am sure you will over come these short comings and enjoy detailing all the missing features.

All the best and good luck :D

Cheers Greg
Very good information Greg. I do not know yet much about so many brands in the market. I'm going to put a lot of interest in the assembly of the pieces and I'll be able to comment on it so we can all get to know these legendary brands.
It will be very interesting to work on a kit that can be contemporary with me in my age.
Gracias y saludos :thumbright:
Good one Luis, and yes, it is indeed the original late 1960s Airfix kit - General Mills, who at one time owned Airfix, marketed Airfix kits in the USA.
As always, very enriching contribution Professor Airframes. So much information and references that involve and shape our world of static modeling.
I am ready and motivated to start, learn, enjoy and honor this Profile Series's kit.
Un abrazo Terry:headbang:

Gracias y saludos, vamos a pasar otro proceso más disfrutándolo en grande.:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Last edited:
This is the scheme, ... I still can not find images or photographs from the top and bottom of our Lady D.

1.jpg

Actual images: (all obtained from the internet)

2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg

An interesting fact is that the name "Lady in the Dark" was inspired by Kendall's personal, from the Ginger Rogers' movie of the time.
Pilot, Capt. Solie Solomon (now Lee Kendall) is the lowest of height.

6.jpg
7.jpg

Normally the crew of a P-61 is three. In "that historic flight" they only flew, Kendall and Lt. John Scheerer, his radar operator:

8.jpg

The text in the next page of the newspaper, tells a very interesting story, reports and describes the personality of Lee Kendall.
It is a late tribute, but very right for what this flight meant and the way in which the events occurred. :pilotsalute:

9.jpg

I hope you like history, if someone has something more to share, it will be very illustrative.

Something that also caught my eye now that I am acquainted with the "Lady in the Night" and her crew, do not match the names of the pilot and O / R operator who mention the instructions of the kit. ... Anecdotal breviary.

Hasta pronto y saludos!! :thumbup:

I think the tops looked standard for the kind of camo. Black with the red warning lines with the US national marking on the port wing only. It's very likely there were traces of stains and peeling off similar to these you may notice in the pics below. Especially at the engine areas.

416th_Night_Fighter_Squadron_-_P-61_Black_Widow.jpg

the pic source: Modelarstwo z pasją • Zobacz wątek - P-61 Black Widow - Dragon 1:72

P-61 tops1.jpg

P-61 tops2.JPG

P-61 tops4.jpg

P-61 tops6a.jpg

the pic source:
Northrop P-61C Black Widow
https://www.imagenesmi.com/imágenes/black-widow-aircraft-p57-4d.html
Night Fighter, Hunter, Decoy- Why The P-61 Was Such A Tease
Forums / USAAF / USN Library / Bite of the Black Widow - Axis and Allies Paintworks

My pleasure Luis Carlos. :wave:

Here you are the example of undersides. The appearance depended on how long a plane was servicing. The quite new planes had them quite clear while the older ones had the surfaces much dirty. It can be noticed in many pics of P-61 that the exhaust white-grey deposit was also on the both sides of the stabilizer+elevator and engine nacelles + booms+fins/rudders.

P-61 undersides_.jpg

P-61 undersides.jpg

the pic source:
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/99/08/d2/9908d224651311c73b34e35022bac6cb.jpg
Vintage Air: Black Widows

Extraordinarias fotos W., muchas, muchas gracias!!
Tomorrow I prepare the first photos of my start in my 2nd GB \\:D/

Saludos y buenas noches :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back