GB-44 1/72 A1-H Skyraider - Military A/C of post-war time

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Jock Tamson

Senior Airman
Jan 14, 2019
Scotland
Username - Jock Tamson
First name - Greg
Catergory - Intermediate
Manufacturer - Fujimi
Scale - 1/72
Kit - A1-H Skyraider
Add ons - some scratch building in the wheel wells

Here is my entry for the GB the rather old but still nice Fujimi Skyraider, which will be built with the markings on the box top as long as the decals are still usable!

002.JPG
003.JPG
004.JPG
A-1H_Skyraider_of_VA-25_with_toilet_bomb_on_USS_Midway_(CVA-41)_in_October_1965_(NNAM.1996.253...jpg

The last photo (courtesy of Google images) of an actual Skyraider shows some unusual ordinance deployed during the Vietnam conflict, which lends new meaning to "bombing the crap outa the target"

Thanks for looking, Cheers Greg

Broke open the box last night and had a bit of a play with the bits!

Test fit of the main components looks ok...

001.JPG

Solid "hump" i think is wrong, so i need a close up photo to see what should be there, a wee bit of surgery required...

002 (2).JPG

A shot of the empty wheel wells, which i will box in and add ribbing.

003 (2).JPG

Close up of the cockpit tub, basic but doable. It will need a control column at least.

004 (2).JPG

A definate weak part. The prop looks like the blades are too fat. I have started thinning one down to see if that looks better.

006.JPG

A small start, but i'm now underway. Thanks for looking, Cheers Greg

Have been looking for images of the Skyraiders rear cockpit area. It would appear that the hump shape is there to represent the gear used to move the sliding canopy section, which appears to be covered by a protective canvas cover. Its a kind of gas filled strut see photos (from Google) below. I will attempt to represent this as its quite prominent under the canopy.

download (1).jpg
download.jpg

The one on the Marine Skyraider is uncovered while the USN version has the cover in place.

Thanks for looking, Cheers Greg

Greg, it's a support brace for the head armour. Beneath this was the canopy slide mechanism slot. See drawing below, from the Squadron Signal book.

View attachment 559670
Thanks Terry, that makes more sense to me,

I had seen a 1/48 Quickboost part on Hannants website and it described the part as sliding canopy gear (or words to that effect).

Good diagram too.

Cheers Greg

Thanks Vandee,

That looks quite scary! I think i would prefer to just jump out under my own steam!! The Yankee system is quite different to whats in Terry's Diagram to i'm guessing that it is a mod on some models, very interesting indeed.

I found this on Google.....

Cheers Greg
Yankee.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back