GB-44 1/72 CF-18 - Military A/C of post-war time

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I'm going to stick it out with the Hornet. Not going to let that kit beat me. I have to
use different decals though, the FIP ones are out of stock so I ordered Canuk's CF-188
Symmetrical Markings, so far so good.- John

Speak of the Devil I just glued the canopy glass to the frame. It still wont sit flush, there
seems to be some material from the 2 seater rear deck holding it up. I need to file more
material off that area.- John
Hornet 10.JPG

Hornet 11.JPG

I found it. It was the rear deck, there was a rear deck for the 2 seater, that had 2 raised areas
that held up the canopy frame and made it "teeter". I sanded that and there was a gap but
that was fixable with mass quantities of Tamiya putty. I weighted the forward fuselage with
likewise mass quantities of Poster Putty. Now to let it all cure up then sand and blend it all
in to the shape of the forward fuselage. I have been down this road before with a couple of
short run kits.- John
Hornet 12.JPG

Hornet 14.JPG

Hornet 13.JPG

Thanks, I am not sure who is beating who sometimes. I have the forward fuselage sanded and need to
do more work on the canopy. When I wet sanded it some sludge got inside gunking up the already
imperfect cloudy canopy. I will try a few more "flushings", it seems to help some. The rear fuselage is
not much better than the front. It went together good but the inserts under the LEX are pathetic. They
showed the wrong ones in the instructions so I switched sides and they sort of fit now. They will require
a good amount of putty to fill the gaps. Definitely my one and only HobbyBoss CF-18 build!- John
Hornet 15.JPG

Last edited:
I sanded the bottom of the LEX inserts and they still need some filling. They are very
low near the rear where they meet the intake area. This is the worse part of the kit. Once
I get the LEX area sanded up and fitted into the slots in the forward fuselage the kit will
then move quickly. Getting there is half the battle. I have added more putty and will sand
again tomorrow.- John
Hornet 17.JPG

Hornet 18.JPG

Hobby craft have always been a way of stretching your modeling skills. Doing well and will really love the Phantom. The Fujimi A-4 and F-4 kits were some of my favorite 1/73 scale kits. Oh yea and their F-14 Tomcats are really great.

Well here's the "oxymoron" of the week for this build. I have a near perfect fit of the forward fuselage
to the rear fuselage. The LEXs aren't in place yet as I want the two main bodies to cure first before I
start jostling more parts around, if that makes any sense. The up and down and side to side fit good
it's just the two profiles are not perfect, so I evened them off as best I could looking through my optivisor.---John
Hornet 19.JPG
Hornet 22.JPG

Last edited:
I'll know tomorrow how well the LEXs fit. Got my fingers crossed.---John
Hornet 21.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back