GB 54 Pacific Theater Starts May 1

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Loved doing my B-25...........
This one will be an SBD-3 of VS-5 Yorktown Battle of the Coral Sea.
CV-5 Coral sea.jpg
Different Pilot tho. I will use the number 9,
HB54 or 5+4=9 as no AC number for Lt J.J. Powers.

Since I just did my first post for GB53, I might as well get committed commit to this as well, since I bought the kit already. To go with my early model Zero from GB 48 Carrier, this is the late A6M5.
boxart.jpg

To those of you who are undecided, I usually have a choice made for all the GB's as soon as announced. The advantage of not having a huge stash (although for some reason it gets bigger faster than the GB list) is that I often have to order what I want.

****PLEASE READ****

This is a heads up that starting with this GB, the judges will be asking for a minimum of 4 additional pictures to be submitted along with the mandatory 6 positional pics when the "FINISHED" thread is posted.

Details will be provided in an updated "Photo Requirements" thread shortly.

we would be happy for you to join in, mark that date on your calendar...:)
Will do! Should definitely be able to have something before the deadline. Considered having two by repainting my still unfinished B-17D, but nah I'm keeping it NMF. Maybe if Iget a 17E or B-24 though 🤔

Or perhaps something much smaller and easier to transport!

Hello,

I would like participate and there are 2 options for me: P-40F R. B. Westbrook or A6M5 "early" T. Iwamoto probable/possible
View attachment 666109View attachment 666110
:)
Are you looking for votes? I would say both.:p Actually, if only one is to be done, I would choose the A6M5. Would be interesting to have the color shown identified? George, is this the color you are struggling with?

Are you looking for votes? I would say both.:p Actually, if only one is to be done, I would choose the A6M5. Would be interesting to have the color shown identified? George, is this the color you are struggling with?
Argh ! Not enough time to build both 😶 But I could have asked for a vote :D 😛
The most probable for me will be the P-40F ;)
For the A6M5, IMHO, the colors would be D1 or D2 IJN Green Black for the upper surfaces, and J3 Amber Grey for the lower surfaces

Will do! Should definitely be able to have something before the deadline. Considered having two by repainting my still unfinished B-17D, but nah I'm keeping it NMF. Maybe if Iget a 17E or B-24 though 🤔

Or perhaps something much smaller and easier to transport!
Update on that front. Strong chance of repainting the B-17. I've taken it out of the box for the first time in months and yikes silver paint + brush on gray plastic did not give good results. I cannot do NMF justice with my current tools and skills, perhaps some future build when I've got an airbrush or get better at brushwork

Excited for this! Sounds like a good reason to finally start that Doolittle Raid B-25B I've kept stashed since last semester. Will have a late start (not able to work on models until May 15th or so), but very interested
If your worried about stripping the existing paint off, try soaking it in hydraulic fluid for a while, it wont hurt the plastic but should help remove the paint. :D

Last edited:
Still doing research, but I may find (or not) what I'm looking for way after the build is over!

I am considering doing the Bristol Beaufighter TF-X. I have found that the Australian AF did use this unit (30 squadron) for action in the Pacific. What I am trying to verify is if the craft that was used were of the type that this kit has, specifically the 'thimble' nose that contains the weather and radar gear? The kit markings, decals, are for units that flew mostly in the European theater. Changing the numbers probably will not be difficult, I have a stash of unused decals to cut from.

So, I am looking for help identifying, and verifying the thimble feature, for a unit(s) that flew in the GB54 boundaries. I like this kit as it has enough detail to make it an interesting build. My backups (see previous post) are valid for GB54 but really basic and, well, uninteresting.

I suspect though, that my kit is of a vintage that was not available during the valid theater actions?

1652120058503.png

This is as close as I have gotten. Actually it is close to the camo/markings as is with the kit.

1652121582503.png

Bristol Beaufighter T.F. Mk.X
489 Squadron, Royal New Zealand Air Force
Ser. no. NV425
Dallachy, Morayshire
May 1945​

This aircraft is a Coastal Command "Torbeau" of a New Zealand Squadron. A few things to notice are the "Thimble" nose type radome covering tha ASV or Air-to-Surface Vessel radar, the reintroduction of the spinners on late production Mk X's, whip type radio aerial behind the cockpit, and the added small aerial on the fuselage underside. This was also seen on a lot of Spitfires - I think it was probably some kind of radio navigation aid.

The four-character code sequence is "P6" for 489 Sqn, the "F" being the individual aircraft letter and the "1" after that indicating C Flight of the Squadron - in other words the unit had more than 24 aircraft total, so C Flt had the numeral 1 added.

The fins on the back of the torpedo were made of plywood and unpainted, their purpose being to ensure that the torpedo entered the water at the correct angle; on hitting the water they simply broke off, leaving the torp to continue as normal to its target.

Confusion, caused by me I suppose. The kit has the RO432 as it's markings. The NV425 (as I posted) was clipped from an article. It kind of, maybe, is referenced as having served in the Pacific et.al.

This is my kit.
RO432-.JPG

I was just 'wondering if the NV425 was in the GB54 TOs and its markings used?

And now it is correct. The P6-L1 RD432. However the no.489 Squadron got the late Beaus TFX at the beginning of the 1945 and were used over the North Sea rather than over the Pacific.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back