**** DONE: GB-57 1/48 Bf 109G-6, Bulgaria - WW2 Foreign Service

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

No thoughts on the camo Steph. What you have suggested sounds reasonable though you might mean mottles in 02 and 75 not 76. Maybe some 74 for good measure.

The mottles in RLM02 and RLM76 are suggested by Kora decals referring to the books AJ-Press. Monografie Lotnicze N°42 & 50 "Messerschmitt Bf-109 pt.1 & 6". As you said, the probability could be (over the standard RLM74/75 camo) mottles with RLM02 and RLM74 or maybe RLM71...?
Below, the same aircraft later, during September 1944, after Bulgaria changed side (white markings), flown by Petar Manolev
S. Stoyanov ou P. Manolev (Lt)-Bf 109 G-6 ,6 Iztrebitelen polk, 3 Orliak, automne 1944.jpg
The camo on the nose seems to be a camo from WNF...?
:)

Oh, so they mean 76 mottles on the rudder I guess. I thought they meant the fuselage sides and given that the base colour of the sides is already 76, I thought it sounded strange. Carry on then...

IMHO the original camo over the rear part of the fuselage was over-sprayed with a darker tone (RLM 74 Dunkelgrau - the greenish colour) and then over-sprayed again with dense "squiggles" in a lighter grey tone as seen on many Bulgarian Bf-109G. The latter is usually described as "Light Bulgarian Grey" and is not RLM 76 but a more neutral light grey colour.
Compare 3 photos of the same a/c - the top one is from late September 1944, the bottom 2 are from the early summer of the same year:
43P1572.jpg

One can see that the top photo does not show the "squiggles" - a sign that the a/c was re-painted again during the application of the white identification markings (in Sept. 1944).
And here is Stoyanov under the nose of an unidentified G-6, described as "his plane". This could be the Green 1 (compare e.g. areas in RLM 74 and 75 around the "beule" or the darker area behind and over the exhausts with the same areas visible on the photo above). Anyway, no guaranties here, just speculations.
mqDdwfX.jpg

Most of the existing colour profiles for this plane (Green 1) do not show the real mottling of the rear fuselage.
Attached are 2 photos from the same unit 382-nd Yato (Staffel), 3/6 Orlyak (Group) - Green 6 with a very well pronounced "squiggles" with hard contours on a dark background. It is not impossible that the Green 1 and 6 have been painted by the same hand. The "squiggles" normally start around the cockpit area.
AiBIyer.jpg

The pilot in the flight suit is Stoyanov, the officer with the hat, Manolev.
HL4XL9I.jpg

The original camo scheme could be (with a great probability) the Regensburg-scheme with the dark area in front and around the cockpit incl. the canopy. The latter has a very light rear fuselage which has been actually heavily over-sprayed later:
1P8l0nW.jpg

Cheers!

Thank you for these informations :thumbright:.
I thought that the camo could be from WNF referring to this photo of Hafner's mount WNr.442013 and the waves on the nose, the same as the Stoyanov's mount.
View attachment 705875
:)
The WNF (usually) has the lighter tone (75) around the cockpit and the darker tone (74) in front of it:
TmFUaBy.jpg

But that's only my assumption. Even these schemes I use and posted here might be wrong in a way - you can choose any scheme you want. There is no known WNr. for this a/c. Denes Bernad in his book "Bulgarian Fighter Colours" gives only the (possible) number in the triangle 133/7057 - probably deciphered from one of the photos shown above.

Last edited:
And one more:
This a/c (based on the above mentioned Bulgarian serial 133, which is kind of a consecutive number, based upon delivery) could be one of the G-6 - batch with WNr. 163xxx-165xxx (offered in May 1944). The latter are from the Regensburg production.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back