GB 57 question

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The history of the Finnish "Hakaristi" goes way back beyond 1918 and their aircraft, of course.

Many nations used the symbol in one way or another, like Latvia did for their Air Force as earlier mentioned.
It appeared on some Imperial German aircraft during WWI, on an American army division shoulder patch, an automaker's grill emblem and on the standard of an Imperial Roman Legion.
If the truth be known that symbol goes back thousands of years and was used extensively in Eurasian, African and American cultures. Sadly it was the Nazi's who demonized it. :D

Again thanks George. Have watched and was a bit gobsmacked at the points of history being shown. It also helped me make up my mind as to which scheme to adopt as I noted that the elaborate identification scheme of white and red stripes was adopted later in the conflict and after Germany had donated a number of G-6 109's as compensation to Switzerland for repeated infringements of airspace and injury, some fatal of Swiss people. My build will be an E-3 which was part of the initial purchase from Germany in 1939/40 which were not so elaborately painted. I also noted that compensation from the US for 'Accidental' bombings that were aimed at taking out rail links and yards that the Swiss alower the Germans to use off amounted to millions of US$. :D

Last edited:
Please, keep in mind that the Swiss E-3a were slightly different from the German Emils.

How you guys are a week away from starting a new GB and you're all like "don't know"; "have a few choices"; "gotta look thru stash".:rolleyes: I'm buying stuff a week after the whole GB cycle is published. I have plans for the next cycle which isn't even under discussion yet. My suggestions will stem from "I want to build this, how can it be a GB"? Anyway, here is what I decided to do about a year ago.
A-36Boxart.jpg

Designed and built by one country to spec and use by another. This becomes the start point of my long desired History of the Mustang that finishes with my GB-55 P-51D, unless I get a GB to build a F-82.

As a complete non-competition build, I'm also doing this only because I can paint both with the same colors. I'll post progress (if any) but this is not to be counted.
HurriBoxart.jpg

How you guys are a week away from starting a new GB and you're all like "don't know"; "have a few choices"; "gotta look thru stash".:rolleyes: I'm buying stuff a week after the whole GB cycle is published. I have plans for the next cycle which isn't even under discussion yet. My suggestions will stem from "I want to build this, how can it be a GB"? Anyway, here is what I decided to do about a year ago.
View attachment 704196
Designed and built by one country to spec and use by another. This becomes the start point of my long desired History of the Mustang that finishes with my GB-55 P-51D, unless I get a GB to build a F-82.

As a complete non-competition build, I'm also doing this only because I can paint both with the same colors. I'll post progress (if any) but this is not to be counted.
View attachment 704197

"I'm buying stuff a week after the whole GB cycle is published. I have plans for the next cycle which isn't even under discussion yet"

Are you related to Don?

Surprised that a P-40 hasn't been considered for the build, it was operated by quite a few nations during the war, including P-40Es operated for a while by the IJA in Burma.
I did consider the P-40 as I have 2 or 3 in the stash, but like you thought someone else would be doing one or two 🤔. If my Stuka progresses well I may well do one. I have Russian, RAF and RAAF options.

I did consider the P-40 as I have 2 or 3 in the stash, but like you thought someone else would be doing one or two 🤔. If my Stuka progresses well I may well do one. I have Russian, RAF and RAAF options.
Aside from the three countries you mentioned (Soviets, British and Australians), they were also operated in combat by:
France
Canada
South Africa
New Zealand
China (4th Air Group)
Netherlands (East Indies)
and as mentioned earlier, Japan (50th Air Regiment, 2nd Air Squadron - Rangoon)

So there is quite a variety to choose from, or build them all! :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back