GB 58 night fighters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

This GB is a good one for me to tackle two challenging kits that I have in my stash. However, given the amount of work I foresee, I fully expect that either one of these kits will end up on the zombie shelf, along with my Wellington, Anson, Battle, F-5..........

The first is the 1/48 Revell D0-217E kit, which I had always wanted to convert into a night fighter version using the Koster conversion set. I had been watching out for this rare conversion set for years until Terry spotted one and picked it up for me a couple of years ago. Long since I got the base kit, ICM came out with a proper Do217 Night Fighter in 2019 which sort of made the conversion set moot, though up to then it was the only way to build this version. Since I invested a fair bit of coin into the kit and set though, I feel that I should build it some day but it involves significant butchery. The other challenge is that the amount of info on the Do217J/N is rather sparse and I think I've picked up pretty much all the useful info that's available on-line. I even consulted with Chris Goss who recently wrote a book on the 217 and even he acknowledged the limited info out there. As you know, I like to build historically accurate subjects that look interesting so having good pictures and info is important to me. I've not decided on a scheme yet.

The other candidate is a 1/48 Revell Bf110G-4 which I picked up at a model show many moons ago as an impulse buy. Had I researched the shortcomings of this kit beforehand, I would not have bought it. Revell made a hash of the engine nacelles and spinners which are moulded much too small and this would bother me to no end if I left them as is. I have no plan on how to fix them, other than throwing out the kit and buying an Eduard one instead!

Anyway, I've made no decision yet and there may not be one anyway given that summers are always busy for me.

"GB 58 - Night Fighters All Eras - May 1, 2023 to Sept 3, 2023

This theme includes aircraft of any era used in the night-fighter role. Bombers operating at night are excluded, unless the subject is a bomber that has been converted to a fighter (e.g Ju88 or Do217). The entry can be an aircraft specifically designed for the role (e.g. He-219 or P-61) or one that was adapted for it (e.g. Bf-110, Beaufighter). The entry must reflect the aircraft as it was used in the night-fighting role (for example, a Bf-110 in Battle of Britain markings is not allowed)."
I have a question:
Could "Shoki" (Ki-44) be part of this GB as a fighter adapted for this role?
kWzpZLs.jpg

Cheers!

Last edited:
Si, yes, if it is preforming night fighter duty then yes. It doesn't have to have radar, just be preforming as a night fighter
As per several books I was reading about Ki-44, some of these a/c have been used as night fighters against B-29 raids. Below some excerpts from Ki-44 ʿTojo' Aces of World War 2 - I put them together. The 70-th sentai was acting as a night fighter unit. Both, Yoshida's and Ogawa's planes have been modeled by many (mostly with wrong markings)
wwJHTpM.jpg

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Go for it Yves.
:wav:
Years ago, my son gave me a gift for Father's day - a model from the hobby store, he bought with his own money. AFAIR he had a limit of up to $15 and he found the Otaki-classic "Tojo" for that amount. I never had a reason to start this model but maybe this is a chance for it...

Last edited:
:wav:
Years ago, my son gave me a gift for Father's day - a model from the hobby store, he bought with his own money. AFAIR he had a limit of up to $15 and he found the Otaki-classic "Tojo" for that amount. I never had the reason to start this model but maybe this is a chance for it...
Come and join in the fun, er frustration, fun , er Fulham no don't go there! 😇😇😇😇😇😇

OK updae, I have Vallejo, AK acrylic, and Mr. color coming but won't be here before Saturday, I couldn't wait.. I went to G and G model store (LHS is about a fifty mile round trip).
One bottle of AK RD293 British cockpit grey green! ONE BOTTASL IN THE WHOLE STORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2023-05-03_14-00-27_433.jpeg

So you can see the difference. If I didn't know better I'd have just been happy with what I had, but, it is a noticeable difference....
The arrow is pointing to the new color.. with the darker being the Tamiya and the lightere more grey being the AK.
2023-05-03_13-18-06_436.jpeg
2023-05-03_13-18-11_518.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back