GB 58 night fighters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Check you text messages
Thanks. Before I saw this I did some searching. Too easy! Seems like there a many to choose from? Just have to decide on the best 'bargain', assuming quality is paramount.

PS-P N3313.JPG
MNFD L48028 2.JPG
MNFD L48028.JPG

Thank you for this. Can I assume that the aircraft major parts were the same (no added, removed major parts - the kit I have will be correct parts wise?) and the only challenge will be is to either find or create the correct decal set? Will be an adventure for me to try and find a decal set of either. I really need to start expanding on my 'skills' and this may be the small step needed? The easy path is the Heinkel, but with the amount of time left in this GB I really need to do something challenging!

Looking at the decals that come with the kist you have already the "PS". The "H" for instance can be made using the "KO-I". The same regarding the "P". Just you have to cut the correct parts of the letters and get them right on the fuselage. As I mentioned it above the serials can be the trouble because you need them printed of the Medium Sea Grey colour although a couple of profiles and decal makers made them of the red what is incorrect IMHO. But there is a way for making them of the MSG as well.

Anyway one of the aftermarket decal set can be interesting as these offer a couple of nice looking markings.

Seems that I can start cutting off spru parts and gluing things together, paint it black and then choose the marking set? I may yield to the 'Sky Grey' marking suggestion? I suppose the Red is date dependent and not necessarily wrong? In any case I can start the build and have time to get a proper set of decals ordered. If and when I start this be tuned in for 'more' discussions on the proper marking colors!

Wurger - looking at this photo that you sent, if my eyes have not gotten that bad yet, it appears that the marking are red based on the 'shade' of the center of the fuselage roundel, which would have been red (red-blue-yellow)?

boulton-paul-defiantp_ps_-jpg.jpg

I have thought the same when I saw the image initially. However if you have a look at the fin flesh and also the central disk of the fuselage roundel you may notice thatthe red there is more dark than the supposed one used for the code letters and the serial. The code letters are just dirty what you may notice in the pic below with the another Defiant of the squadron. Additionally the fuselage markings are in a shadow contrary to the top wing roundels. Also if you would check on more pics of the Defiant with the black camo you would find that the dull red markings are almost unnoticed mostly unless a pic was taken with a filter.

6102b564c68a379ca45f4eef_1024px-Royal_Air_Force_Fighter_Command-_1939-1945-_CH4810.jpeg

And here the code letters and the serial in red ...

JS65638899.jpg

the source: North East doodlebug hero pilot's archive to be sold in Newcastle

Been doing some shopping around, with the help from Don, I think I have settled on a set. Just have to find a decent deal. The ones I'm finding cost almost as much as I paid for the kit. Direct from Model Maker in Poland is the best deal, but I think one needs to be a dealer? Have contacted my local HS to see if they can get? Thinking of doing HE-W or EW-K. Although EW-K comes with black ID numbers! So many choices!

48046.JPG

BD choices.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Been doing some shopping around, with the help from Don, I think I have settled on a set. Just have to find a decent deal. The ones I'm finding cost almost as much as I paid for the kit.
Ralph, why don't you try to write Airfix and ask them for an additional decal set?

Last edited:
Been doing some shopping around, with the help from Don, I think I have settled on a set. Just have to find a decent deal. The ones I'm finding cost almost as much as I paid for the kit. Direct from Model Maker in Poland is the best deal, but I think one needs to be a dealer? Have contacted my local HS to see if they can get? Thinking of doing HE-W or EW-K. Although EW-K comes with black ID numbers! So many choices!

View attachment 723322
View attachment 723323

If you want you may get in contact with them ...

I really like PayPal, never had a problem in almost 10 years. The one time out of over a hundred uses, a vendor was very slow mailing a model out. I contacted PayPal after a few emails with the vendor. PayPal contacted the vendor and said if they don't ship, return the money and the vendor would lose their 100% credibility. Model was mailed the next day

WELL CRAP! Being to lazy (I guess) to open the kit box and see the 'actual' instruction sheet, instead going to Scalemates to download the instruction sheet from there. It seems the instructions are for the kit I have but not -'A' level. Downloaded that, and used for reference, and these discussions, A05128. The kit is A05128A! And guess what....there really is/was a nightfighter version...I think?

Sorry for the waited time and bytes. It did bring out some interesting photos though.

A05128A.jpg

WELL CRAP! Being to lazy (I guess) to open the kit box and see the 'actual' instruction sheet, instead going to Scalemates to download the instruction sheet from there. It seems the instructions are for the kit I have but not -'A' level. Downloaded that, and used for reference, and these discussions, A05128. The kit is A05128A! And guess what....there really is/was a nightfighter version...I think?

Sorry for the waited time and bytes. It did bring out some interesting photos though.

View attachment 723447
You struck lucky George. Re PayPal, you should get yourself an account, makes shopping on line so much easier and you have security. Like George I have used it for a number of years and often not bother purchasing from a company unless they have PayPal, particularly when ordering from off shore. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back