GB-59 1/72 Mitsubishi Ki-15 'Babs' - WW2 PTO V

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Oh, thankyou Shinpachi... so in that case, the panel shown on this drawing for the Ki-15-I is incorrect? This is where I photographed the last one from, and posted the others being the same as it.
(They have featured it inside the cutaway cockpit aswell as seperately front on)
image000000(10).jpg

The panel you mentioned is featured on their drawing of the Karigane I.
1680973294721.jpeg

1680972137027.jpeg

And I should clarify, Shinpachi identified the later C5M2 type panel for me (the type Yahu make), not this one. It was my own assumption that this panel was the Ki-15-I based on the above drawings!

Last edited:
Oh, thankyou Shinpachi... so in that case, the panel shown on this drawing for the Ki-15-I is incorrect? This is where I photographed the last one from, and posted the others being the same as it.
(They have featured it inside the cutaway cockpit aswell as seperately front on)
View attachment 737597

The panel you mentioned is featured on their drawing of the Karigane I.
View attachment 737599
View attachment 737598

And I should clarify, Shinpachi identified the later C5M2 type panel for me (the type Yahu make), not this one. It was my own assumption that this panel was the Ki-15-I based on the above drawings!
I should have told you which one is correct when I was asked translation.
I did not check the color illustration but looks wrong.

It looks like the Mitsubishi Ki-15 Karigane ( J-BAAI ) had the two-part indicator panel with the "pointy" cut. But it doeasn't mean the serial Ki-15-I had the same. It seems that the Model Art Profile no. 14 contains the third variant of the panel. The top diagram looks like the one you both posted above wile the third one is different.

I found a screenshot of the page with the panels. Shinpachi Shinpachi could you translate the captions there? It could be a clue.

2150__02.jpg

the source: the net.

Arigatou Gozaimasu Shinpachi, and dziekuje Wojtku!

Wojtku, the above picture is what I asked Shinpachi to translate. Unfortunately it is an incomplete image downloaded from the net, so the name of the top panel is missing. The bottom one is labelled as a C5M panel.

The bottom sketch view BTW is an extract from an Aeroplane magazine article from 1937 of the air speed record breaking 'Kamikaze'.

Shinpachi San, if you believe the book drawings are incorrect, then I will hold fire with the panel for now, so we can try and prove one way or the other which is correct.

Thankyou both again guys!

And edit: We clashed posts Shinpachi! I have now just repeated your information :)

I have checked several books and information in the internet again. No one says that the instrument panels between Ki-15-I and Kamikaze were different except "Karigane" was a naming for civilian use. As time goes by, new opinion seems to be coming up :(

Thankyou for looking Shinpachi, much appreciated!

I wonder on what information Giuseppe Picarella has based his drawings for his new book. According to the advertising:
'A major portion of Vol. II is devoted to the first highly detailed technical description of this aircraft to be compiled since the Mitsubishi engineering department completed the final Babs airframe in August 1941. Individual coverage of the Ki-15-I, civilian Karigane-I, Ki-15-II, Karigane-II, C5M1, C5M2 and Ki-15-III provides aviation historians and modellers alike with an in-depth understanding of individual airframe systems and reconnaissance equipment, all lavishly supported with custom artwork, cutaways, original engineering drawings and detailed photographs'

I am curious if the panel (and other) details are based on photographs and/or original technical drawings.

Sorry but I have not heard of such a new theory as Kamikaze canopy was lower.
Let's check old pics.

New theory about Kamikaze (神風号)?
Kamikaze.JPG

Kamikaze
Kamikaze_side.jpg

Ki-15-II
ki-15-2_side.jpg

Comparison (Red: Kamikaze/Blue: Ki-15-II)
Kamikaze&Ki-15-2.jpg

Profile comparison of Ki-15-I and Kamikaze by old Japanese illustrator Toshihiko Ogawa in 1993.
Ki-15-1_to_Kamikaze_s.JPG

Thanks for all the input guys.

As far as I can tell, the Hasegawa kit is a Ki-15-I.
I believe the main (external) difference between the I and II was the change from the Nakajima Ha-8 9-cylinder engine to the 14-cylinder Ha-25-I.

The Hasegawa kit is a reboxing of the earlier Mania kit, which was released with both IJAAF markings and markings for J-BAAI Kamikaze, with no differentiation between canopies or anything else.

Added a couple of photos of the Ki-15-I and C5M2 for canopy comparison, I believe they are the same height.
Ki-15-I:
20230916_073752.jpg

Source: Japanese Bombers, author unknown (Japanese text)
C5M2:
20230916_073616.jpg

Source: Koku-Fan No.99: Imperial Japanese Navy Aircraft.

Side profile from same book.
20230916_074514.jpg

Last edited:
I have had a close up look at the couple of pics of the Ki-15. I have to agree that there was the difference in the height of the cockpit hood. But the difference is between the first Ki-15 prototypes ( J-BAAI, J-BAAL ) and the serial Ki-15-I/Ki-15-II. The prototypes had the top of the cockpit hood more flat what can be noticed in all images of the kites. The difference can be noticed especially at the top front windshield. So it can be the reason for that.

Ki-15_J-BAAI.jpg

Ki-15_J-BAAI_a.jpg

Ki.15-I Kamikaze_b.jpg

Ki.15-I Kamikaze_c.jpg

Ki.15-I Kamikaze_a.jpg

ki15-7.jpg

Ki-15_kamikaze.jpg

The Ki-15-I and the Navy variant C5M1 based on the Ki-15-I had the top more rounded ...
babs_IP_a.jpg

ki15-I_12.jpg

C5M1.jpg

the same can be noticed for the Ki-15-II and the Navy version C5M2 based on the kite ...
Ki-15-II_J-BACL.jpg

ki15-II_a.jpg

C5M2_b.jpg

Mitsubishi_C5M_Karigane_IJNAF.jpg

Ki-15_II_.jpg

the source of all images : the net.

Last edited:
Thankyou for looking Shinpachi, much appreciated!

I wonder on what information Giuseppe Picarella has based his drawings for his new book. According to the advertising:
'A major portion of Vol. II is devoted to the first highly detailed technical description of this aircraft to be compiled since the Mitsubishi engineering department completed the final Babs airframe in August 1941. Individual coverage of the Ki-15-I, civilian Karigane-I, Ki-15-II, Karigane-II, C5M1, C5M2 and Ki-15-III provides aviation historians and modellers alike with an in-depth understanding of individual airframe systems and reconnaissance equipment, all lavishly supported with custom artwork, cutaways, original engineering drawings and detailed photographs'

I am curious if the panel (and other) details are based on photographs and/or original technical drawings.
Soon as I get a copy, tell me what you need and I will send it to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back