GB-62 1/32 Spitfire Mk. VIII - Spitfires (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

It would have been easier to use American "interior green", but due to the cost of importing it, plus the loss of shipping transporting it, due to U-boats, and ships Captains deciding that Bermuda was a better destination than cold and wet England, and, of course, the excessive import duties and taxes, not to mention the inflated prices imposed by the US manufacturers, it was decided at the highest level that it would be more cost effective, and definitely more convenient, to send Jim and Bert down to the local Woolworth's, where they could buy suitable paint at reasonable prices, whilst at the same time enjoying a bag of their famous "Pick 'n Mix" at the sweetie counter.
However, reliable sources also hint at the fact that the average RAF pilot of the period would be rather miffed at the shade of green, which tended to induce nausea after at night on the town, something that was definitely "not cricket, don't you know", and certainly not Gentlemanly.
At the time, Woolworth's did not have sufficient stocks of the preferred shade of paint (Magnolia), therefore the next best thing was chosen, issued and used - hence the grey-green shade we all know and love.

It would have been easier to use American "interior green", but due to the cost of importing it, plus the loss of shipping transporting it, due to U-boats, and ships Captains deciding that Bermuda was a better destination than cold and wet England, and, of course, the excessive import duties and taxes, not to mention the inflated prices imposed by the US manufacturers, it was decided at the highest level that it would be more cost effective, and definitely more convenient, to send Jim and Bert down to the local Woolworth's, where they could buy suitable paint at reasonable prices, whilst at the same time enjoying a bag of their famous "Pick 'n Mix" at the sweetie counter.
However, reliable sources also hint at the fact that the average RAF pilot of the period would be rather miffed at the shade of green, which tended to induce nausea after at night on the town, something that was definitely "not cricket, don't you know", and certainly not Gentlemanly.
At the time, Woolworth's did not have sufficient stocks of the preferred shade of paint (Magnolia), therefore the next best thing was chosen, issued and used - hence the grey-green shade we all know and love.
Naw, probably just the cost of postage.

I went searching my stocks and found I had this Hataka paint set, which included the interior grey green, most paint sets don't include the interior colors.
IMG_5149.jpeg

The results
IMG_5150.jpeg

I did also find but didn't try.
IMG_5152.jpeg

This is my test board.
Upper is Tamiya X-71, lower Vallejo Pale green and the one side is Hataka in grey green. Other colors are Vallejo British Azure (71.108, FS 35240, Dark Earth 71.029, and Middle Stone 71.031) all of which are also represented in the Hataka set. I should run a color comparison.
IMG_5154.jpeg

This is my test board.
Upper is Tamiya X-71, lower Vallejo Pale green and the one side is Hataka in grey green. Other colors are Vallejo British Azure (71.108, FS 35240, Dark Earth 71.029, and Middle Stone 71.031) all of which are also represented in the Hataka set. I should run a color comparison.View attachment 780549
Frame it. A beautiful objet d'art.

Getting things in order and starting the prep for the Quinta Studio for the cockpit. Have to cut out a couple sections in the fuselage and add a piece to the lower aft on both sides. then the Quinta starts.

View attachment 780410View attachment 780404View attachment 780405View attachment 780406View attachment 780407View attachment 780408View attachment 780409
Now those are some great looking seatbelts!! Should make the cockpit POP when installed.

Airframes Airframes , the instructions call for a part with several holes in it to be in the front of the seat. I've seen a couple photos of it but most seats I don't see it on. Now that maybe because they are post war era birds. So the question is should it be on a Mk VIII? I'd post photos but I'm a bit indisposed at the moment.

That'll be the flare rack, for the flare pistol.
There is some debate on this subject, but generally, these were only found on the earlier metal seat, on Mk1, MkII and Mk.V, although often deleted from late Mk.1 onwards.
When the composite seat was introduced (the red/brown coloured seat), the rack was discontinued.
But note that the metal seat was re-introduced, or fitted in the field, when engines got bigger and there were instances of the composite seat collapsing under high "g" loads. These were retro-fitted to many of the Mk.IX and also fitted to the later Marks, including the Mk.VIII.
Generally, the flare rack was no longer present on these aircraft, but, as always, there were exceptions, and it was possible to see the metal seat with or without the rack, and also still see the composite seat.
I generally omit the rack on Spitfire models after the later production Mk.1.

Airframes Airframes , Terry wasn't that caused by introducing of the six-cartrige signal discharger firing down initially ? In the case the signal pistol and the cartriges for it could become no needed anylonger. The recognition device was introduced on 14.06.1940 as the modification 153. From 7.04.1941, with the mod 235 the recognition device was repositioned to fire upwards.

Yep, that's another reason, and the main one. I couldn't remember the date the discharger was introduced, hence the use of the term "late Mark 1".
However, presumably to use up stocks, the seat/rack could still be seen sometimes, possibly fitted (from stock), as a replacement part, although in general, the rack was not seen after late 1940.

:thumbright:

I agree. The metal seat was replaced with the resin/paper ( let's say bakelite ) one on 14 Februery 1940 with the mod 189 introduced. But it seems that the early chair was still mounted until the end of the 1940. Later the new seat was in use. So the rack could be removed.

That'll be the flare rack, for the flare pistol.
There is some debate on this subject, but generally, these were only found on the earlier metal seat, on Mk1, MkII and Mk.V, although often deleted from late Mk.1 onwards.
When the composite seat was introduced (the red/brown coloured seat), the rack was discontinued.
But note that the metal seat was re-introduced, or fitted in the field, when engines got bigger and there were instances of the composite seat collapsing under high "g" loads. These were retro-fitted to many of the Mk.IX and also fitted to the later Marks, including the Mk.VIII.
Generally, the flare rack was no longer present on these aircraft, but, as always, there were exceptions, and it was possible to see the metal seat with or without the rack, and also still see the composite seat.
I generally omit the rack on Spitfire models after the later production Mk.1.
Thank you, clears up a lot of confusion, er well maybe but yeah thanks, I think.

I'll not attach it. Valiant Wings hints around but doesn't seem to come out and say it.

Last edited:
Airframes Airframes and Wurger Wurger .

The kit seat strongly resembles the composite seat from Richard A.Franks "The Supermarine Spitfire Part 1 (Merlin-powered)" Variant Wings. Page 191. If so, would it have been painted or left in it natural Brown color?
IMG_5161.jpeg
IMG_5162.jpeg

Last edited:
Usually the "bakelite" seat wasn't painted by the manufacturers but it happened the maintenance crews were ordered to paint them with the same colour the cockpit interior was. Generally leaving it of the red-brownish colour of the material it was made of , is more correct.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back