GB-62 1/48 Spitfire Mk.IXC "Beer Delivery" - Spitfires

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I have no problem with you switching kits Ralph. This is supposed to be a fun hobby. That kit is for when you you have paint drying and need something to putter about with
Putter??? I'm thinking of a new paint mule!!!

Awww but think of the fun you could have! If you switch kits, make sure to fix your intro info in post #1.
That was actually a fleeting first beer of the day thought!! Sounded good then, but how does one improve if not given a challange? 2nd beer thought....I suppose I can be doing just as well if I start using blocks of styrene and carve the shapes by hand :cry:

That was actually a fleeting first beer of the day thought!! Sounded good then, but how does one improve if not given a challange? 2nd beer thought....I suppose I can be doing just as well if I start using blocks of styrene and carve the shapes by hand :cry:
These ICMs must be really difficult. But as you say, they are a great challenge that sooner or later I will like to face with one of my two Spitfires of this brand.

What you are looking at are the remnants of a failed attempt to install the engine into the fuselage. Up until14:00 CDT today this was a lovely-detailed engine. After yesterday's 4 hours, and today's 4 hours, trying to get it to fit within the fuselage, I finally gave up; breaking it down into its needed components; exhaust, bulkhead, spinner plate and shaft. No amount of twisting, shaving or cussing would allow the fuselage to close in all areas. Did not try beer though, but probably would have wound up with same outcome but happier with it! Just frustrated at the hours spent on creating an engine that would not fit.

I believe that it was ultimately possible to get these parts to mate, however not sure of the time it would require? It is critical that the engine aligns with the bulkhead correctly and the support framing be assembled to maintain this. Given the mold quality of many of the parts, hours per part would be required to get them to align correctly with each other. The lack of precise, or in some cases any, locating detail just adds more stress to the assembly. I'm just thankful that Tamiya super thin, when applied to a seam, acts as a solvent, allowing parts to be removed.

Abandoned engine.jpg

No hobby should be stressful Ralph. I think you made the right choice to forget about the engine and try to close everything up with the cowls provided. All 3 ICM kits I did were done without having the engine showing so I didn't go down the path you did. I'm sure that after a deep breath you'll whip up a nice model.

Ralph, if you want to make a "beer delivery" Spitfire IX, there is MJ329 (MK329?), flown by J. J. Johnson some days during August 1944.
It is probable that the invasion stripes were partly erased leaving only on the lower surfaces, or maybe entires around the fuselage and only on the underwings...

No hobby should be stressful Ralph. I think you made the right choice to forget about the engine and try to close everything up with the cowls provided. All 3 ICM kits I did were done without having the engine showing so I didn't go down the path you did. I'm sure that after a deep breath you'll whip up a nice model.
Not abandoning the build, just resetting expectations. Amazing though, the mold quality differences, even the same early 2000ish Tamiya, Eduard kits being far superior. It has to do somewhat with the 'soft' material that they used? Maybe needed higher pressures to do a fill, thus the major flash? But another kit with the same flash issues and a harder material would be manageable, cleaning the areas and such. This will definitely be a closed canopy build, focusing on the beer feature is my goal.

Ralph, if you want to make a "beer delivery" Spitfire IX, there is MJ329 (MK329?), flown by J. J. Johnson some days during August 1944.
It is probable that the invasion stripes were partly erased leaving only on the lower surfaces, or maybe entires around the fuselage and only on the underwings...
As I have been led to believe, the invasion stripes were water based, washable type. Not sure how to interpret your comment that the upper wing stripes and fuselage were 'dissolved' during the beer delivery stage? Are you referencing an image of this 'era' of speculating? Perhaps the maintenance of the paint was not paramount for those that were not seeing actual action? Ghost coating to represent a faded/washed off stripe then? Or just go with the clean whites and blacks and claim this was the first beer run!!!!:finger:

Ralph ,

The invasion strips were the kind of a visual identification Friend or Foe. These were introduced on 17th May 1944. But the order for applying them was issued on 4th June. Applying was done in a hurry mostly. After the D-day, a month later, the markings were ordered to remove from the wing and fuselage tops. Fully these were washed off by the end of the 1944.

Here is a Spitfire with the D-day markings but seen on the undersides only. So it means that the same was done to the fuselage strips limiting their location to the bottom part

beer_in_Normandy.jpg

Ralph ,

The invasion strips were the kind of a visual identification Friend or Foe. These were introduced on 17th May 1944. But the order for applying them was issued on 4th June. Applying was done in a hurry mostly. After the D-day, a month later, the markings were ordered to remove from the wing and fuselage tops. Fully these were washed off by the end of the 1944.

Here is a Spitfire with the D-day markings but seen on the undersides only. So it means that the same was done to the fuselage strips limiting their location to the bottom part

View attachment 784216
Great photo. Thanks!!! So we (me) are down to the markings being those used in the first application time period (early 1944), fresh and on top and fuselage? Or, as ICM has given an option for, a later (improved barreling?) marking on a later vintage?

Later Beer Wagon.jpg

And my day has been made! Looking through my stash, I discovered I had ordered (probably the same time as the beer wagon version) a soviet marking Spitfire. Opened the box and, yes, the same sprue package as the beer wagon! Identical flash on all the parts. Smaller instruction sheet and minimal decals. Oh! Joy.

Maybe I'll try again to get the engine right and use this one on my beer Spit.....:rolleyes:..... that is the afternoon beer talking.

Taking bids. Free shipping!!!!

Box art 48066.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back