GB-63 1/48 Macchi C.202 "Folgore" - Stormy Weather (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Well, here's some more for yas.

All the resin parts were washed, dried, primed, and then the main casting received a coat of black, as most of it represents items in deep shadow. Then individual sections of pipe were picked out in their respective colours, all as called out by Eduard's instruction sheet and backed up, more or less, with reference pictures. The STORMO page has a sheet specifying the colour codes and it would appear that green is coolant, brown is oil, and pneumatics are blue. The yellow bits have something to do with the fuel system.

More individual pieces of pipe were then added and brush painted something I really don't like doing with Tamiya paints but there's no choice really. The silver engine mount, which I managed to break when removing it from the casting block, had to then be threaded through all the pipes. The fit was amazingly precise.

The plug was then glued to the main spar and firewall, which received a coat of grey and yet more bit of pipe were added.

There's still one more piece of coolant pipe to add and then a bunch of PE wiring so this is one busy little area. All of it looks a bit toyish right now and once everything is installed, I'll give it all a grimy wash and matte coat to dull the colours down.

Thanks for poking your head in guys.

Thanks again.

This section of the wheel well is now done after adding two PE wiring harnesses and giving everything an oil wash. I've yet to shoot a matte coat in there. Twenty-two parts make up this little assembly and there's more to come once the wing uppers are installed. Unfortunately, the blue piece of pipe is now loose but it's so packed in there that I can't get at the end of it anymore. I'll fiddle with it once the wings are on as I'm not clear on where it's supposed to go.

And after having gone squirrely trying to figure out what colour Griggio Azzuro Chiaro 1 really is, I bit the bullet and shot the cockpit interior bits with Tamiya XF-20 Medium Grey over a black background (same as the spar above). My confusion over this colour stems from the fact that documents on the STORMO site point to two Federal Standard equivalents: FS36307, said to be the more likely correct of the two, and FS36473 which is close-ish to RLM 76. The thing is, 36307 to my eye (and others who have discussed it) has no blue (azzuro) in it at all. In fact, it has a warmer brown tinge and that's what my Tamiya choice has as well. To demonstrate the confusion even more, here's what you get for a screen shot if you do a google search of the colour:

My chosen colour is close to the top middle LifeColor example in the above screen grab and here's what it looks like at the moment, with a few bits picked out in black and a wash added to the floor:

The yellow arrow is pointing to a lever that Hasegawa tells you to stick on the starboard side of the pit. However, every reference I've looked at (and there aren't a lot) have this lever on the port side so I've since moved it there. You can see it there on Vic's model too so that's where I stuck it. EDIT: See post #46 below. The lever is actually correctly positioned as it is supposed to be the seat adjustment handle and not the missing hydraulic hand pump.

The cockpit will be closed so I'm not going nuts on detail. The kit has decent details already and these should do the trick.

Back with more hopefully tomorrow.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread