GB-71 1/72 Spitfire - Recon/Transport/Training in WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

PlasticHero

Senior Airman
666
1,616
Jul 31, 2019
Pennsylvania, USA
Username: PlasticHero
First Name: Alan
Category: Intermediate
Scale: 1/72
Model: Supermarine Spitfire PR.XIX
Manufacturer: and part no: Airfix A020178
Tool/Release date: 2009/2024
Extras: Decals

I get to build my fav airplane again in different paint scheme. The kit does not have period correct decals so I have 2 choices. One is a $20+ decal sheet on ebay or to fudge a "close enough" representation of the plane. This is what I want to build.
PR XIX 682 Sqdn Italy Sept 44.jpg

PR XIX profile.jpg

I have found a white F in my decal stash or I might try to cut a stencil. I have a bunch of the blue/red roundels and some fairly close to the others. The serial may end up black unless my decades old white misc number sheet still works. I will make a trip to my local Hobby Shop because (they might have new cool kits) they have a box of old decal sheets.
 
No, modeling was 80's to mid 90's and that era was Airfix and Heller mostly. Since I restarted here; New Airfix, Eduard and Tamiya.
 
Cockpit is nearly ready to close up. I added seatbelts made from my thinnest plastic card. They do look better than nothing but the brass belts I used in the Hurri kit are much better. I think in the future it is worth it to get the brass.
Seat4.jpg

The small square and the rod below it are a med kit and the crowbar. This detail is in this photo of a Swedish Spitfire Pr XIX. The next detail is the seatbelt that is rigged
back to the armor plate. I haven't done those black bottles yet but should be easy. :rolleyes:
ipms cockpitL.jpg
ipms seatbelt1.jpg

@Wurger thanks for the photo of E and F. The PRU is much lighter and faded (and difficult to replicate) than I expected. I'm also intrigued by all the differences between the two. 4 vs 5 blade prop (I have the 5); the different size and placement of the roundel; and the darker (replacement?) rudder on E.
I've become a fan of sprue goo to ensure a sturdy bond between parts. The belts are not connected but are there to fill in that void.
Seat5.jpg

Seat6.jpg

Full discloser; I lost the control stick and had to fabricate one. Thanks for all the comments and photos.
 
Last edited:
Rechecking the wheel well and landing gear cover (after painting it Interior Green) and all I have is two comments that say they should be PRU. The instructions say IG for an England based XIX in 1944. Did they paint over the primer or didn't prime at all? The cockpit is primed in IG.
 
Rechecking the wheel well and landing gear cover (after painting it Interior Green) and all I have is two comments that say they should be PRU. The instructions say IG for an England based XIX in 1944. Did they paint over the primer or didn't prime at all? The cockpit is primed in IG.

IMHO in late-production and post-war PR.XIX – due to the anti-corrosion protection and the pressurized cockpit – the wheel bays and inner surfaces of the landing gear covers were painted RAF Interior Grey-Green or if the plane got overhauling there was the PR Blue.

pr_.jpg

pr.jpg

pr_c.jpg


pr_a.jpg

pr_b.jpg

the pic source: the net
 
Sez "originally IG except after refit" and shows me 4 pics with definite PRU covers. Thank you @Wurger for those. I will make mine as a pre-repaint. I had been planning to do my first preshade. I was going to prime it in black then mist some splotchy light grey along the top; wing leading edge; and wing roots. It's due for a refit soon.
 
I just got QuickBoost exhaust for the Spit. They are much beefier than the kit pipes. You can see that they are supplied on a protective base; I cut one end off to make it easier to get the parts off. They have realistic openings on the ends. They will look much better.
exhaust1.jpg
exhaust2.jpg

A4K A4K I the photo shows the F about the same size as the fin flash; I have a profile for a decal sheet that is larger. Any where between 5/16 and 1/2 inch. I have many old sheets with roundels. I really have to go through them and pick what I have and figure out what I need. Gimmie a couple days and I'll post. Thanks
 
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back