GB nominations for builds after GB 39

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks Kevin. With your preferences added, the poll changes to the following

Heavy hitters (Bmbr a/c, no ftrs) (27)
PTO (20)
Aces (20)
Military A/C 46-82 (18)
MTO incl Greece, Crete & Malta (18)
BoB (17)
WW2 D-day and after - west (12) / Twin Engine A/c (no time limit) (4) (Total 16)
WW2 Night Fighters (8) / Neutral Nations 1939-1945 (5) (Total 13)
Carrier a/c 39-45 (8) / Military A/C before 1939 (incl SpCW) (6) (Total 14)
WW2 Eastern Front (8) / Favourite a/c of WWII (6) (Total 14)

While I like the Twins , it opens up a large assortment from all sector, If putting a time limit on it or if no interest then it can be dropped. Just putting it in WWII still leaves a very large contingent of aircraft. Also I could see aircraft of the movies being allowed with in a build. such as heavy hitters, as it is a bombers none time frame(save WWII) I have markings for B-25's from the movie "Catch 22". I don't see a problem with that. If the movie deals with the subject then I don't personally see why it could not be done in the fictional context. Just my input. If Twin's does not work, pull it. We want to work this down to workable.
Gotta say though not fully understanding the scoring or placment.

Michael, I'm with Terry on the "no fighters" bit for the Heavy Hitters. The category is meant to cover bomber aircraft. The reason I said "no fighters" when I suggested it was that I didn't want a bomb carrying P-40 or 109 to qualify. This build should be dedicated to aircraft that are pure bombers.

I appreciate that, and can see lots of opportunities within that build mix for people to build "Reich defences" style aircraft everywhere I don't have a problem either way with leaving fighters in or out of that build.

MTO GB should also include Yugoslavia and Torch and the Vichy resistance to that invasion IMO, .

Sorry for my late input. I've got some from leftfield for consideration.

1. WW2 Lend/lease or aircraft supplied to another air force (whatever that's called!)
2. Coastal Command
3. African theatre of operations
4. Eastern Front
5. Transports and gliders

Thanks Kirby. Ive previously stated that if at all possible, the nominations list will not let anyone's nominations be washed overboard and not included in some way or another in the final nominations. But I have to also work within the parameters of not having more than about 8-10 separate GBs and limiting as much as I can the numbers of split builds.

So, if I am to meet all those criteria I must apply some compromises to the build nominations. That means that where I can I combine new proposal to within the existing nominations. I will have to apply this design principal to some of your nominations.

So, this is what I have done with your nominations (please let me know if you are unhappy),

"WW2 Lend/lease or aircraft supplied to another air force (whatever that's called!)" cant be easily or satisfactorily slotted into any of the existing categories. It's a good subject and your top nomination, so I have created a new nomination "Aircraft in "Foreign Service (incl Lend Lease)"

"Coastal Command" is best married to "Carrier a/c 39-45", to create a new title "Carrier & Maritime Patrol A/C of WWII" That's my suggestion for a "best fit" alternative.

"African theatre of operations" seems to be largely covered by the MTO theme, but it is possible people might want to build from IEA, the trainers in Rhodesia, the Near East (Iraq etc) so ive altered that title to be "MTO incl Africa and Near East"

Eastern Front can be drafted straight into the existing

"Transports and Gliders" is a low order nomination that you've made but unique I should also say. I think it marries into the "Twin Engine A/c (no time limit)" nomination, modifying the nomination to "Twin Engine A/C and Transports and Gliders"

With those changes to the nominations categories, I can apply your preferences in the following manner;

Heavy hitters (Bmbr a/c, no ftrs) (Total 27)
MTO incl Greece, Crete & Malta Africa and Near East (Total 21)
PTO (Total 20)
Aces (Total 20)
Military A/C 46-82 (18)
BoB (17) / Aircraft in "Foreign Service (incl Lend Lease) (5) (Total 22)
Carrier & Maritime Patrol A/C of WWII (12) / Twin Engine A/C, Transports and Gliders (5) (Total 17)
WW2 D-day and after – west (12) / Neutral Nations 1939-1945 (5) (Total 17)
WW2 Eastern Front (10) / Military A/C before 1939 (incl SpCW) (6) (Total 16)
WW2 Night Fighters (8) / Favourite a/c of WWII (6) (Total 14)

I'm a bit concerned that one of the suggestions I made seems to have now become a "criterion". Unless I missed it, I don't recall anyone agreeing that we should limit the GBs to 8 and re-poll every 2 years. It was just a suggestion, one that I still stand by, but it shouldn't be construed as a given unless there is general consent.

The way ive read the comments (not just yours) is that people are not keen on split builds and the general feeling seems to be that people want to come back more often than we were able to with the last round of GBs. Balance that against what I believe is the need to consider each and every nomination made and I can think of no other option other than try cramming later nominations already close to a match to that earlier existing nomination. I don't want to lose any persons nomination further down the track, because all of a sudden it becomes the imperative, after I'm done here with this nomination process, that we "need to limit the nominations to a 2 year program" That rationalisation process will already have been done by the time the results of this poll are presented to the judges and Wotjek for final determination.

This poll process is working on the idea of maximising the democratic processes. Every persons idea, so long as it is clearly constructive, matters and I will do my best to incorporate it into the decision making framework. Plus I want this poll to be as transparent as I can make it. Everybody can see where I am headed and everybody can make comments or give advice at any time. there is no need to build artificial walls to not let other have their say on the direction of this poll.

Just a reminder guys, this poll will be closing in a few days. Any final comments are welcome.

What happens next. after the poll closes, I will forward the results to at least one of the judges for them to make a final decision. If I'm given permission to do so I will then post a new thread, "GBs 40-50" with the dates of each build.

Sorry all for the lateness still hit by this ruddy flu cold combo thing :(

my votes are:
1. Heavy hitters (Bmbr a/c, no ftrs) (27) -
just a question for this one, does it mean any era bombers? Ie WW1, WW2, Modern?
2. PTO (20)
3. Eastern Front
4. Chinese front (from the start to end of war)
5. Small and unusual airforces (ie stuff we don't usually model, Togo, Palestine, Nepal, Nigeria etc.)
6. Multiple Model GB, you can do aircraft, tanks, ships, dioramas whatever this can give us a little flair and spice to the usual aircraft options. (or take aircraft out of it completely, that way we all get a change of scenery) you can't imagine the amount of skills I've picked up bouncing from one group to the other we could all use extra skills and doing one of these kits would be interesting :)

Last edited:
Sorry all for the lateness still hit by this ruddy flu cold combo thing :(

my votes are:
1. Heavy hitters (Bmbr a/c, no ftrs) (27) -
just a question for this one, does it mean any era bombers? Ie WW1, WW2, Modern?
2. PTO (20)
3. Eastern Front
4. Chinese front (from the start to end of war)
5. Small and unusual airforces (ie stuff we don't usually model, Togo, Palestine, Nepal, Nigeria etc.)
6. Multiple Model GB, you can do aircraft, tanks, ships, dioramas whatever this can give us a little flair and spice to the usual aircraft options. (or take aircraft out of it completely, that way we all get a change of scenery) you can't imagine the amount of skills I've picked up bouncing from one group to the other we could all use extra skills and doing one of these kits would be interesting :)

no just WWII....that was the original nomination, I just got a bit lazy .

Number 4 is very unusual, but I could include it in the PTO build I think.

number 5 is another unusual one is probably best grafted onto the "aircraft in foreign service" nomination.

I like number 6, but is not a vote as such Rogi. top 5 only mate.

So with Rogi's nominations included, the nominations list is as follows

WW2 Heavy hitters (Bmbr a/c, no ftrs) (Total 32)
PTO (including China war from 1937) (Total 24)
MTO incl Greece, Crete & Malta Africa and Near East (Total 21)
Aces (Total 20)
Military A/C 46-82 (18)
BoB (17) / Aircraft in "Foreign Service and minor nations (incl Lend Lease) (6) (Total 23)
WW2 Eastern Front (13) / Twin Engine A/C, Transports and Gliders (5) (Total 18)
WW2 D-day and after – west (12) / Neutral Nations 1939-1945 (5) (Total 17)
Carrier & Maritime Patrol A/C of WWII (12) / Military A/C before 1939 (incl SpCW) (6) (Total 18)
WW2 Night Fighters (8) / Favourite a/c of WWII (6) (Total 14)

This now concludes the nomination process. I will now forward this final list to the GB organisers requesting that they take it into consideration in the GBs 40-49.

Thanks everyone for your participation

A big shout-out to Michael for pulling this together and thanks to all who have contributed their ideas. The proposed list is now with the judges to review and a decision will be announced hopefully shortly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back