German pilot landed on Zugspitze.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

v2

Captain
Nov 9, 2005
Cracow
German pilot Tom Huber in a "Savage Classic" flies over the mountains before his landing on top of the Zugspitze mountain May 3, 2008. Huber landed his plane on a snow-covered makeshift airstrip on Germany's highest mountain- Zugspitzplatt plateau at the height of 2.600 meters, near Garmisch-Partenkirchen, Bavaria. This is the first landing on the plateau since 50 years.

Attachments

• 610u.jpg
    610u.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 265
  • 610x.jpg
    610x.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 247
  • 610y.jpg
    610y.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 252
  • 610z.jpg
    610z.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 240
Very cool. It must have been dificult to land up there though. I have been up to the top of the Zugspitz on many occasions and I would not want to land a plane up there.

No the Zugspitz is the highest mountain within Germany's borders. There are plenty of mountains that are higher than the Zugspitz in the same mountain range and within kilometers of each other but they are all on the Austrian and Switzerland side of the border.

You can see the higher mountains from the German side but like I said they are on the Austrian/Swiss side of the border.

Talk about you hairy landings! With all those mountain updrafts and downdrafts, couple with an engine that probably isn't much stronger than your average lawn mower, damn, that boy is both lucky and good!

Hat is off to him, but I wouldn't want to be him.

No the Zugspitz is the highest mountain within Germany's borders. There are plenty of mountains that are higher than the Zugspitz in the same mountain range and within kilometers of each other but they are all on the Austrian and Switzerland side of the border.

You can see the higher mountains from the German side but like I said they are on the Austrian/Swiss side of the border.
Thanks for the info Adler, appreciated! 8)

Pretty cool.

It had to be such a light a/c though, you wont see any a/c much heavier go up there.

The a/c is a Piper J-3 with a 65 HP engine, thick wing and very light contruction, pretty ideal for the job although I'd like a turbo on the thing if I was ever to try that out.

100 HP ? Heck even better!

But it is a version of the J-3 Piper Cub, only it seems with either a 80 or 100 HP engine instead and some other changes.

yes,it is the ultralight version of the j3.
the Savage in the picture, is also equipped with vortex generator.
There is also a video of the landing.
the video is from a videocamera fitted on the wing and another fitted in the cabin, maybe that during this week the video will be online on youtube, I will give to you the name to see it.
have a nice day.

as Tim said with down drafts and updrafts, pretty hair raising stoooooooooopid if you ask yours truly, and hey Chris it looks like a fair snow pack this spring or ?

heck I'd do it naked

as Tim said with down drafts and updrafts, pretty hair raising stoooooooooopid if you ask yours truly, and hey Chris it looks like a fair snow pack this spring or ?

heck I'd do it naked

I dont think there is much up there now. I was going to head down that way this weekend but looks like I will be going to Munich instead.

If I was ever going to try that I'd need a good pay check, a turbocharger for the engine and full span slats. Then I'm pretty sure I could do it, permitting the weather would allow me to.

Excellent thanks Savage! :)

Btw, is it just me or did that touch down look a tad rough ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back