Germany's 'last' WWI veteran dies

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

There not comparing them. Even the majority of WW2 German soldiers were only soldiers doing there job as soldiers. There is a difference between a German Soldier and Nazi Goon in WW2...

I for instance am very proud of my Grandfathers service in the Wehrmacht in WW2. I am not proud of what the Nazis did and what they were trying to do but I am proud that my Grandfather served his country.

I think there should be more memorials than there are here in Germany to the fallen German soldiers of WW2. The majority of them were victoms of there own tyranical government.

Watch the documentary "The World at War" and you might gain an understanding of what I am talking about.

Adler is right there is a difference between the nazi supporters and the common soldiers who were caught in the middle...they have gone to war for what they thought it was the good of their country...I see no shame in my country fighting alongside Germany in WW2 and I honor the veterans who gave their lives for us!

yep , your right crewchief and tiger , i got that documentary and its very good , but theres also a book out there i have called the german infantry by ian baxter, and mostly the german soldiers were not happy about going to war , but they did it because it was what was exspected of them , it was tradition not because of hitler or his goons, ever wonder how many americans would,nt have jioned up if there wasnt a draft, but thats another thread , a vet is a vet and i honor them not the politics,

Just to prop up the point about veterans, I always say just because we have a republican president does not mean every one of our soldiers are republican. And if I am correct most officers in the Wehrmacht and Luftwaffe were not even allowed to belong to a political party. Any person who goes to war for their country regardless of personnal opinion is deserving of a least respect for their patriotism - and thats for any country.

A long salute to the last German 'Great War' veteran.

I think we've only got one left in New Zealand now, aswell.

I wonder how many WW1 veterans remain in the UK. I cant seem to find a reliable figure.

One thing I still cannot fathom, is Germany's lack of records for their veterans. Considering their legendary attention to details, I cannot fathom their lack of oversite.

Surely a lot of it would've been lost in the chaos surrounding the last year of each war?

:salute:

That's really sad that there are NO German vets left from WWI at all. I mean, it's like, all gone, nothing living exists from Germany's war in WWI.

Now all you have is books and movies and some people on the homefront still living.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back