Getting back into modelling, need advice on a few ?? re' specific kits, airbrush... (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Ebay is the best source for decals as many can be had for quite reasonable costs.

Welcome back, I returned myself just over a year ago, you will learn a lot from watching these guys, i did.

Welcome to the forum.
Lots to see learn here. As far as online retailers go BNA Model World or Southern Sky Models are two that I have dealt with locally and cannot find fault with either. I have also ordered my fair share from LuckyModel which are Hong Kong based. Takes a little longer to recieve in post but they have stuff I cannot get here and the prices are usually cheaper even if you factor in the cost of postage.

David.

Welcome to the forum, from England. You already know of Hannant's in the UK, and there is also Model Hobbies, again UK.
As mentioned, Wayne, and also Vic (Balshaw) can possibly assist with Oz-based suppliers, although I know Vic sometimes uses Hannant's without problem.

Glad I could be of help :)
Wojtek, back when I scanned them the scanner I had would only do pictures. I had tossed the originals so that's all I had. I think my new all-in-one will do PDFs so I should be good now.

Glenn, I don't know what type of scanner you have but it might be in the program you use. I found out while scanning some pics that I could choose how to save what I was scanning - a .jpg, .gif or .pdf!! I couldn't believe it and it was easy. My scanner is 3 years old and came with the program so I can only guess that you have the same thing.

Thanks NxThanos. I will be sure to keep an eye on ebay.

Florence thanks for Lucky Models BNA Model World.

Airframes I will also look into Model Hobbies. Much appreciated.

Crimea river thanks for the link and the mention of Squadron.

Catch 22 thank you also for providing the link.

I am grateful to all of you for your kindness, patience and courtesy while welcoming this new member.

Allen.

Last edited:
Glenn, I don't know what type of scanner you have but it might be in the program you use. I found out while scanning some pics that I could choose how to save what I was scanning - a .jpg, .gif or .pdf!! I couldn't believe it and it was easy. My scanner is 3 years old and came with the program so I can only guess that you have the same thing.
That could be Chris, but it no longer matters as I hooked up a new HP all-in-one last week and it asks you what format to save it in. The problem with the Fw 189 directions was that I had already scanned them as jpg. files and had tossed the originals. Is there any way to convert jpg. to pdf.? Or even a Word doc to pdf. I pasted the jpg. pics of the plan sheet to a Word document hoping I could then convert them to pdf. but I couldn't figure it out (I thought I had done it it one time). Now my intention is to print them out and than scan them to pdf., but that seems like the long way to go about it. I have quite a few kit directions saved as jpg. so if there's an easier way to go about it I'd be interested to know.

Welcome to the forum from the Shire!!!!!!! So now there are at least three of us in the area.
I've just gotten back into this stuff just a couple of years ago and can't imagine a better introduction to and aprenticeship than I've gotten from this mob. If you get in on the Group Builds, it gives a bit of purpose and an incentive to Finish something. Works for me!

Air brush, whatever you can afford, but a doublke action is a must. Controls paint flow as well as air flow. At first one feels a little digitally dislexic, but once caught on, is the go. I was in the sign painting trade in the States years ago and my Pasche VL is about 30 years old and works a treat. Just a little 1/6th HP compressor with a water trap and collection tank. Mine was had for about 75 bucks. But is a must for the finish you want.

The latest Fine Scale Modeler has a Special Edition on the stands right now, aircraft building how to. It's a good one to pick up, I have cuz I want to know a bit more on ageing the paint finish. I reccomend it to you. In the text are clues as to what may work for you equipment wise, and me as well.

Bill

Hello Wayne and Bill!
It is a pleasure to meet you both.
Wayne I will drop you a PM on Tuesday. (i have been enjoying your models. Thank you)

Thanks again everyone. I feel very comfortable after what must be just over 24 hours since introducing myself. This is a credit to you all. I hope I am able one day to offer a similar level of class to a new member.

With much respect. Allen.

You should be able to upload from your PC just like a pic.

Go to " Go Advanced" and then hit the "Manage Attachments" button.

Yep.. what's more a JPG file (image) can be of 5 MB of maximum size while a PDF one can be of 50 MB.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back