Gimmicks, gizmos, whatchamacallums, thingmabobs, , widgets....

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

waste of time..........just get a record player.....

Because you wont gain anything copying vinyl to cd as the quality will be the same. CDs are much better sound but vinyl is more nostalgic so why'd you copy it to cd beats the hell out of me.

Are you going to burn them to MP3 for mobile applications? Okay. But if you are shooting for lossless files for home stereo application, don't expect too much performance.

I have a friend in Richmond, Va. that has a set-up like that. He can turn
almost any recorded media (45 RPM, 78 RPM, 8-track, cassett, etc) into
a CD. He just did my Glenn Miller Army Air Force Band album (circa 1953)
onto a CD for me....gratus ! Of course, he made himself a copy.

Just a note, that equipment is not cheap...

Charles

I have a set-up to do that. I run a turntable and a tape deck to an amp which plugs into the computer sound card, add roxio or some such and voila! I don't know if a turntable will work directly into the card or not.

waste of time..........just get a record player.....

Because you wont gain anything copying vinyl to cd as the quality will be the same. CDs are much better sound but vinyl is more nostalgic so why'd you copy it to cd beats the hell out of me.

Actually, I understand that audiophiles perfer vinyl to cd because of the analog nature of the signal (cds chop it into bits and I guess some people can pick this up). As for me, since I have an ear equalent to a 1950's seven transistor radio, it doesn't matter a lot.

Davprlr, I too would like to think that I have an ear for it. I have invested entirely too much in my home 2-channel stereo, but am adverse to the idea that my old records recorded onto an MP3 would sound better. But you wanna make that music portable available in the car and in a MP3 player, more power to ya.

However, to get a decent turntable will set you back about $1000-$1200. Notice I didn't say record player. Thats a term and peformance reserved for your Grammas 45 player where you can stack your records and let 'em rip. [I'm sure I lost 90% of the audience right there]

Can I plug my turntable into the back of a DVD recorder and simply record it that way? Or do you need some sort of programme in 'between'?

My comprehension of the technology above is that there is a way of removing the 'pops' and other associated noises from the stylus striking scratches/imperfections in the vinyl when transferring from LP to CD. A lot of the old LPs that I have are not available on CD (yet) and as time marches on, with each playing that diamond is slowly but surely microscopically milling away the irreplaceable. I'm also finding replacement styluses harder to find where I live.

No you cannot just RCA-to-RCA. You need RIAA equilization. And the programs (for novices) that "remove pops and other associated LP noises" is BS. LPs are what they are.

And for those who don't know, the LP industry (newly manufactured that is!) has been growing in double digits the last 10 years. Go figure. I gave all my LPs to a buddy. Wish I had the temerity to buy a good turntable, but am just too lazy.

Yup more bands have been releasing material on LPs for quite a while. I think again its whole 'collecting' side of things. It certainly isnt for sound quality.
Dont get me wrong I own LPs and have 2 turntables but you lose bass frequencies and lower end instruments which for instance in Jazz is a massive loss to the overall sound.

on what basis?

You materialise over here in Aus and have a gander did ya?

I was talking about LPs in general, you lose bass frequencies.

Take my word for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back