Girls and Aircraft - Volume II

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
WASP Helen A. Snapp pilots a Curtiss A-25A Shrike on a tow mission near Camp Stewart, Georgia, in June 1944

So the firing at her banner would be considered snappshots? What a sucky job in a lousy airplane, and getting shot at to boot. Towing gliders is hard enough work, but her job is insane! Target tugs should get combat pay! Hats off to the WASPs!
Cheers,
Wes

Don't get your heels caught in the rudder pedals, honey!
Nice attention to important aviation based details- All I noticed in that area was the absence of wheel chocks- Those big heels would be a potential problem in regards to the rudder pedals--but somehow, I think that if this gal said "Come fly with me" it might have a slightly different meaning than getting airborne in a Stearman dual-seater. What a fantastic biplane-love to own one someday!!

Last edited:
All I noticed in that area was the absence of wheel chocks
Or remaining clear of the propeller arc? Think she could swing the prop on that R985? Local cropduster used to do it all the time back in the day, when his anemic battery wouldn't.

What a fantastic biplane-love to own one someday!!
Fun to fly, bear to repair. Final exam in Aircraft Rigging in mech school back in the day was setting up a Stearman. Tighten the next to the last wire to spec, and you find all the others are pulled out of spec. Instead of playing "whack a mole" and chasing round and round, you slack them all off and start over. It's a real art. Mechs who are adept at this are kinda rare today.
Cheers,
Wes

Funny, that's what my wife says after flying the Tiger Moth!!
I've only seen one biplane pilot to whom that didn't apply. One sunny afternoon Bette Bach Fineman (ex wife of aviation writer Richard Bach) taxiied up to the shop at mech school in her Moth and we all went out to see. She was clean as a whistle and so was her plane. The only inverted inlines I'd seen were Rangers, and they were always greasy and grimy.
Our chief instructor took the opportunity to point out the detail differences to be found in "foreign" aircraft, but he missed one important one. Bette was getting ready to swing the prop with her kid in the cockpit doing brakes, throttle and switches, when our instructor said: "Hop in, I'll swing your prop". He then gave us a lecture on proper propping, stepped up and started to pull it through. Bette erupted from the cockpit: "NO, NO, IT GOES THE OTHER WAY!! Get out of the way, let me do it!" And she made it look effortless. Our instructor (the top local aviation guru) was in a foul mood for days.
Cheers,
Wes

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread