Girls and Aircraft - Volume II

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Puss Moth is the De Havilland DH-80 of 1929 while the Tiger Moth is the De Havilland DH-82 of 1931. So both planes are of the same design office although both look different.

The Puss Moth
View attachment 484803
Many thanks, Wurger- From the Hemingway story, I thought the way Compton mentioned the seating in the Puss-Moth, it would have been a dual open cockpit-seater, a bit like on the Stearman also shown recently here (985 series?)-- But, Hemingway was a great one to "enhance" details in his works. The time frame for a 1929 era "Moth" aircraft is correct, to the story, which he wrote circa 1935.

Last edited:
The Stearman is a PT17, the engine looks like it's a Pratt & Whitney R985, a 450 HP upgrade from the OEM 220 HP Continental W670. Changes the Stearman from a gutless wonder to a serious acro machine. Truly a blast!
Cheers,
Wes
Pratt & Whitney- Portsmouth NH, right? Met a fellow on vacation last year- April- on Sharkey's Pier in Venice FL.-He is a tool maker at Pratt & Whitney- 20 years in-and had great things to say about that Aircraft Company-.Lycoming in PA, and the Continental Engine Company in Muskegon, MI . Lots of great history in those companies that produced legendary aircraft powerplants, indeed..

Last edited:
Pratt & Whitney- Portsmouth NH, right?
If P&W has a facility in Portsmouth, it's news to me. Historically they've been in Hartford CT since day one. They do have service centers scattered about, and it would make sense to have one at the former Pease Air Force Base just outside Portsmouth, which is now an industrial park and air freight terminal.
Now there's a company with a lineage to boast of. Descendants of the Pratt Truss and other structural designs allied with descendants of the cotton gin and the mass production concept.
Cheers,
Wes

I'm sure you are right about that. I have never been further East than Ohio- I struck up a chat while fishing from the pier last April (2017)-and I am sure he said he worked for P&W in NH- Also sure he mentioned Portsmouth. He was experienced at pier fishing, I am a "rookie" so he went out of his way to help me-Nice thing about West Coast FL- no fishing license required from public piers, and Sharkey's in Venice is a mecca for pier fishing. I finally caught a few fish, but they were under the size limit, so back into the drink they went. Even though no license is needed, you have to follow size and specie limits. And you can rent tackle and buy bait (shrimp) on the piers-and the sunburn comes at "no charge"--Hansie

Found this on Tumblr. No photo credit was given.

Sarla Thakral (1914-2008) was an Indian aviator, the first woman in her country to fly an aircraft. She obtained her pilot license in 1936, at the age of 21.

She was the first woman to obtain an 'A' license in India, after she accumulated over a thousand hours of flying. In addition to this, she was an artist and business woman, designing clothes and jewellery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread