Girls and Aircraft - Volume II (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
WildEagles: February 2013
20.jpg

The cover of March 15, 1944 issue of "Shashin Shuho" (Photo Weekly News) is offering an excellent frontal view of a Kawasaki Ki-48 "Lilly" revealing the exact shape of the nose.r the
mag40.JPG

According to the caption: "Women are more and more involved in the production of aircraft as these girls in a Kawasaki factory testify. Who would have thought that women would participate in the assembly of the smallest to the largest part of an aircraft? But indeed that's what they do at an equal level with men. So take this opportunity and join the aircraft production.

Asked my mom about this, since she's Japanese and probably about the same age as these people.
"Shimbun" means newspaper (part of the writing on the hanger).....I know, right?
She doesn't remember the actress, but does remember the actor. She said he usually did comedies.
The title of the movie translates, roughly, to "Boy Pilot in training".

Elvis

...and to keep things on subject...

She's so, "yeah, I'm a pilot." ;)

That cabin looks an awful lot like a Cessna 120 or 140. Stall horn sounds like it too. They have a reputation of being notoriously hard to land gracefully due to their short-coupled fuselage and springy landing gear. She pulled off a real smoothie in the old "pogo stick"! I've been a hapless hostage aboard several "pogo passes" down the runway while the plane's new owner tried to wrestle it on to the ground intact.
Cheers,
Wes

So, according to the giant chrome "STINSON" signature on the dash, do you think they wanted us to think she's flying a Stinson, when it was actually a Cessna?...why those rascals! ;)
Serves me right for watching the video on a tiny cellphone screen! A detail I totally missed. The Stinson was so docile, they called it "the station wagon". Now that smooth landing looks more like routine and less like a tremendous accomplishment.
Cheers,
Wes

Serves me right for watching the video on a tiny cellphone screen! A detail I totally missed. The Stinson was so docile, they called it "the station wagon". Now that smooth landing looks more like routine and less like a tremendous accomplishment.
Cheers,
Wes
The station wagon was a version of the 108-3 that included a hatch and cargo area behind the seats. I understand not all 108's had that feature, only the station wagons.
Those planes all had fixed leading edge slats, too. I'm sure that helped that girl land that plane so smoothly, but you gotta admit, she's not a half bad pilot.
Attitude deserved, on her part. Way to go, lady. =)

Elvis

Nice picture! I've always liked how the older film saturated the colour a little on the heavy side. Couldn't get that with the more modern film.
Girl holding the balloon is kinda cute...wouldn't mind getting to know her! ( :love4:\\:D/)

Anyone know the plane in the background? Kinda reminds me of an A-24, but did we lend that one to the UK?

Elvis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back