Girls and Aircraft - Volume II (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
23202843593_98c88bbef0_o.jpg

...do you think this plane is thinking, "where does SHE get off blocking MY shot?! Camera Hog! " ;)

Thanks Buffnut!
That's a pretty cool link.
I wonder what they mean, when describing the make up of the airplane, by two-bay biplane wings ?

Elvis

Hi Elvis,

A single-bay biplane has one pair of struts connecting the wings on each side of the fuselage. A two-bay biplane has 2 pairs of struts on each side. Here are a few examples:

Single-bay:
300px-RAF_Sopwith_Camel.jpg

upload_2018-9-22_19-20-31.jpeg

Two-bay:
Bristol_F2B_D8096_flying_1.jpg

jenny.jpg

Hope this helps a little.

Last edited:
Curtiss-Stinson Special. Built by Curtiss with some JN-4 Jenny parts, to Katherine Stinson's specifications. More here:

Alberta Aviation Museum
Did anybody notice the sloppy PhotoShop work on the Katherine Stinson diorama pic? Lopped off the outer pair of interplane struts, making the Special look like a single bay biplane with cantilevered wing extensions. No wonder folks were confused about the bays!
Cheers,
Wes

Oh, that's wild!
Didn't notice that the first time around. How strange!
Why would they do that?
Your guess as good as mine. An aviation-ignorant graphic artist with a deadline to meet?? Makes it clear that the backdrop montage was not part of the actual scene at photo time and was edited in after the shot. Perhaps the physical diorama and the backdrop were constructed and photographed separately, then PhotoShopped to meet some publication deadline. Funny they didn't fix it. I'm sure we're not the first to notice it.
Cheers,
Wes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back