Girls and Aircraft - Volume II

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
The C23 Sherpa, or in civvy clothes, the Short SD30, "tuna boat" "HMS Pigwagon", "pukebarge", or "the box the Otter came in". There were two of them at the commuter I worked at, and passengers lived in fear that they would get one on their flight. They'd "no show" at the boarding gate in hopes that the next flight to their destination would be an F27 or a Be1900. The damn things "waddled" in flight and had their large, poorly baffled fuel tanks in the cabin overhead, where we maintainers were constantly chasing seepage issues. Some design genius had seen fit to place the cabin air intakes downstream from the fuel tank vents and not far enough forward of the PT6 engine exhausts. Despite our frantic cleaning efforts, the cabin had a persistent aura of kerosene and vomit. Barfbags were replenished, three per seat, after every leg. If I had fifteen 1984 dollars today for every hour I spent shampooing the upholstery and carpets, retorquing the landing gear, and doing fuel nozzle flow checks on that pig, I'd be a wealthy man now.
Cheers,
Wes

Last edited:
Probably better than the ageing 'Pig' !
Which reminds me - one flying in the UK, and used for basic paratroop instruction, has the civilian registration G-PIGY !!!
Anything's better than the "pig"!
Reminds me of a story I was told on one of my corporate forays north of the border. It seems a junior FO in the Molson corporate flight department got the boot when the company decided to downsize their fleet of smaller planes in favor of a pair of Gulfstreams. All was not lost, as an application he had made earlier to the CAA worked its way to the top of the pile and he was hired to work in the aircraft registration office.
When Molson took delivery of their shiny new birds, they came lettered CF-PIG and CF-HOG. Oops!
Cheers,
Wes

Yep, quite a few 'private' registrations over here - some examples from quite a few years ago were Spencer Flack's collection ; Sea Fury G-Fury, Spitfire Mk.XIV G- FIRE (now in the USA) and Hawker Hunter G-HUNT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread