Girls and Aircraft - Volume II

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
1568697089288.png

Lorna Peterson, parachute rigger 3/c, Castana, Iowa, returns from a flight at the Naval Air Station, Ottumwa, Iowa
Must be a hot day in Ottumwa. Short sleeves in a Stearman back seat? Looks posed too me. She doesn't display the wind blown exhilaration that a Stearman ride inevitably generates. Hell, she could pass a personnel inspection right there. No Stearman passenger I've ever seen could do that.
Cheers,
Wes

Must be a hot day in Ottumwa. Short sleeves in a Stearman back seat? Looks posed too me. She doesn't display the wind blown exhilaration that a Stearman ride inevitably generates. Hell, she could pass a personnel inspection right there. No Stearman passenger I've ever seen could do that.
Cheers,
Wes
Defintiely staged (like most promo photos)
Instructors headset not plugged in, and her parachute strap's loose.

Leyla Mammadbeyova.jpg

Leyla Mammadbeyova (1909-1989) was the first female aviator in her native country of Azerbaijan. She performed her first flight in 1931.
She studied aviation in Baku and Moscow, and in 1933 became the second female parachutist in the Soviet Union. She then led glider and parachute courses, training hundreds of combat pilots and thousands of paratroopers.

I think that's the same woman who was assistant manager of the Navy Exchange store at NAS Boca Chica. She looks like a 30 year younger version of the former WASP I remember.
She was rather a feisty sort, and bitter about the treatment women got in the aviation world, but was willing to talk and reminisce with someone who had a genuine interest in aviation history. She even showed some of her photos of her WASP friends and some of the aircraft she flew, but none of her. She said private photography was a security concern and had to be done on the sly, hence no "incriminating" selfies.
She flew a variety of singles (T6, SBD, Helldiver, P40, P47, and P51), and flew copilot in B25, C45, and C47 as well, but found herself unemployable after her WASP days, not only in aviation, but in any capacity at all. "It's as though being a reformed pilot was worse than being a reformed prostitute, I couldn't get a job anywhere, and had to marry an enlisted sailor just to keep from starving to death. I wasn't even welcome in church!" The devil incarnate.
Cheers,
Wes

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back