Girls and Aircraft - Volume II

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
WWII photo Guards captain Maria Valley at the Pe-2 airplane world war/51q | eBay

Captain Maria Valley

1572642115122.png

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Whew! The intoxicating aroma of blue butyrate dope, and in such charming company! Lala land, here we come! Chief sent me here to ask her some hard questions, but I forgot what they were. Oh that! Who give a crap if sheesh accomplished 'ny perductive werk in that shtill shpotlesh uniferm, anywa, she lookin purty good t'me!

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Second Officer Helen Harrison, A.T. A., Nov. 1943.

She was born in Canada and went to school in Wiltshire England. During her residence in Eastbourne, she went on her first flight and decided to become a pilot. She secretly took flying lessons until she received her A licence in 1935. In 1936 se married a South African and moved there settling in Somerset West. She acquired additional instruction at Johannesburg before returning to England to qualify for a commercial pilot's license. Her total commitment to aviation was made in 1936 when she became one of the first women pilots to receive an instructor's rating in England, and promptly returned to South Africa.As the first woman to hold a commercial pilot and instructor's rating in that country, she taught at the Cape Town Flying Club and demonstrated such ability that the South African Air Force offered her an instructor's course on military aircraft at Pretoria. Her outstanding abilities were then retained by the SAAF to train reserve air force pilots. During this period she also qualified for the South African commercial pilot's certificate as well as instructor and instrument ratings. Until 1938 when she returned to England, her skills were employed by Central Airways at Johannesburg and Port Elizabeth..
In 1939 she was appointed chief flying instructor at the Sheffield Aero Club, where after she then journeyed to the United States to earn that country's commercial pilot's certificate. Still upgrading her qualifications, she travelled to Hamilton, Ontario and earned her Canadian commercial pilot's license and class two instructor's rating..
During the war in April 1942, at age 32 Helen was the only Canadian recruited by Jackie Cochran for the British Air Transport Auxiliary where she served until March 1944.

Second Officer Helen Harrison, A.T. A., Nov. 1943..jpg

Whew! The intoxicating aroma of blue butyrate dope, and in such charming company! Lala land, here we come! Chief sent me here to ask her some hard questions, but I forgot what they were. Oh that! Who give a crap if sheesh accomplished 'ny perductive werk in that shtill shpotlesh uniferm, anywa, she lookin purty good t'me!
Like what appears to be the spot for the missing fire extinguisher behind her.

It's out for hydrostat and recertification. Besides if that fresh butyrate lights off, no handheld fire bottle is going to stop it.

Funny thing is, the photo is instantly recognizable as posed and after so many years the missing fire bottle drew my eyes like a moth to fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back