Girls and Aircraft - Volume II

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
First four-week flight attendant training course at Deutsche Lufthansa in May 1938:

3m-on-the-apron-of-berlin-tempelhof-airport-TA253P.jpg
irfield-with-a-pilot-automated-translation-2H0J0PM.jpg
week-training-course-automated-translation-2H0J0WG.jpg
-tour-of-the-airport-automated-translation-2H0J0WN.jpg
inkel-blitz-aircraft-automated-translation-2H0J0Y8.jpg
ucted-in-meteorology-automated-translation-2H0J0TH.jpg
her-station-of-the-airport-berlin-tempelhof-TA2GBJ.jpg
at-the-weather-station-of-tempelhof-airport-TA26G3.jpg

Last edited:
Obviously the 1938 hash hags were given far better training than their modern equivalents tho I suspect those are modern photos as the weather station equipment looks far too modern.

In the 60s many airlines required a minimum of three years nursing experience or equivalent medical training but that requirement is long gone.

In the 60s many airlines required a minimum of three years nursing experience or equivalent medical training but that requirement is long gone.
A hold over from the 1930's when airline travel was in its infancy.
Stewardess's were originally registered nurses and their job was to serve medical help to crew and passengers, because no one was 100% sure of the effect of prolonged air travel on the average human.

A hold over from the 1930's when airline travel was in its infancy.
Stewardess's were originally registered nurses and their job was to serve medical help to crew and passengers, because no one was 100% sure of the effect of prolonged air travel on the average human.
Their primary function is still a safety one. Service is second. I think passengers need to be reminded of this sometimes.

(I suspect those are modern photos as the weather station equipment looks far too modern.) Quoted from above by MiTasol

The aircraft certainly equates with a 1938 timeline, Lufthansa didn't re-emerge postwar till 1955 at which time their equipment was largely (entirely?) American.

Last edited:
The Lufthansa photos are original 1930's vintage, and the weather station equipment was around in that time period.
Re-enactment photos rarely get everything 100% accurate, particularly small details of clothing and hairstyles, let alone the "look" of the time, Also, note how "clean and new" looking the airfield apron and buildings are, compared to how they are today.
The Ju-52 also has the bomb bays, being inspected by the trainees ( who were probably told they were luggage compartments),and as far as I know, those airworthy Ju-52s still around today, don't have this feature, and most are CASA- built examples too.
Finally, the contrast and overall look of the photos is typical of 1930's Agfa monochrome prints, quite difficult, if not impossible, to reproduce accurately with today's photo systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back