Girls and Aircraft - Volume II

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
1664827955484.png

A T6 on steroids. Wasn't that a steppingstone to the P64?
The Wirraway was one of two aircraft developed by Commonwealth Aircraft (CAC) to help defend Australia and New Zealand against the Japanese in the earlier part of WWII.
The Wirraway was pretty much a straight up T6 with guns and hard points for bombs added on.
The other aircraft was the Boomerang and was an Australian designed fighter that incorporated parts of the T6 in its design.
It also used a different engine, the R-1830.
The Boomerang was never the fastest plane. I don't even think it cracked 300 mph, but when it's all you have, you make do.
Reports stated it was extremely maneuverable had an exceptional climb rate, and the ANZAC pilots used that to the Nth degree.
I understand the Spitfires and the P40's started trickling in down under around 1943 and once there was sufficient numbers on hand, the Boomerang was relegated to an "auxiliary" role.
I remember my dad showing me a picture of a Spitfire that had stopped over at Itami air base in Japan, after the war, when he was stationed there.
He told me that the pilot was hopping the plane from Australia back to England.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back