Girls and Aircraft - Volume II (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maureen Dunlop in 1/16. No plane this time.
That points out something I have noted. We have 1/24 model kits and 1/28 model kits and 21st Century had 1:18 model kits (I have a P-51D and a P-38L). Nobody makes 1:16 model kits as far as I know.

I recently saw an ad for highly detailed aircrew figures. They are 1:30 scale. Now, that is not too far from 1:32 but why did they not use 1:32? Huh? There is plenty of precedent for that, such as this figure I have.

Why do these people not get it?

With pliers.
Yeah, that seems to be a petcock, rather than a Curtis Drain valve like we have now. I never realized they did not have the Curtis valves in WWII.

Anyway, here is another photo of the lovely Betty, who for all of her talents and accomplishments, represents yet another female who has not learned Proper Propping Technique!

By the way, her P-39Q is now in the Smithsonian.

1:16 is a common scale for figures. Many RC-models (both civil and military) but also static military models are in 1:16 as well. With today's modern technology these resin figures are printed, not molded - one can easily 3D-print any scale. I'm sure all those figures are offered in many popular scales, but if you buy the 3D-file, you can print whatever you like. Here is an astronaut figure (from Kubrick's 2001)in 1:16, home printed from a free file. The original scale was ~1/8.

Attachments

• Printed Astronaut and base-flash.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
'm sure all those figures are offered in many popular scales, but if you buy the 3D-file, you can print whatever you like.
But still, they could have expanded the popularity of their products if they had made them in a scale compatible with model kits. Now, the 1:30 aircrew figures run around $50 each, so they are a bit pricey for dioramas.

When some of the Idea kits came out it in the 1980's it was rather obvious they had taken Monogram or other kits and scanned them with a laser, then used the scan with Numerical Machining equipment to produce a copy of the mold. While the colored plastic parts were an exact copy of the original kit, right down to being interchangeable, the reproductions of the clear canopy parts were terrible. Examples are the copies of the Monogram Ju-87G and F4U-4. I assume that the laser scanning did not work properly with the clear parts and no one doing the job realized they could have covered them with some water based paint to make the process work better.

Now, we have 3D printing. Look on Archive.org and you'll find you can download the data to 3D print a 1/48 model of an Ercoupe. We will we be getting relatively inexpensive 3D laser scanning capabilities to go with the 3D printing capabilities?

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread