Girls and Aircraft - Volume II

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep, another inexplicably gorgeous factory worker, building Vengeance dive bombers at the Northrop factory.

RosiesNorthropVengeance1.jpg

I've often wondered if those girls came from Inglewood and San Pedro or Hollywood.
CLc5kgs.jpg
xfWG9uA.jpg

Check this collection by Alfred T. Palmer with genuine photos from Inglewood and Fairfax - those girls/women are real workers and many of them are nice, really nice. Their hairdos are for sure not staged for the photo only.
Cheers!

Marilyn Monroe worked in an engine factory at that time so they well may have been regular staff given a free hairstyle and makeup
Don't know about the engine factory; there were none in SoCal that I know of. MM did work in the Radioplane factory, building target drones. Radioplane was started by the actor Reginald Denny, who was a model airplane enthusiast and who owned a hobbyshop in Hollywood. Radioplane became Northrop Ventura, an early leader in UAVs.
MarilynMonroe_-_YankArmyWeekly.jpg

Don't know about the engine factory; there were none in SoCal that I know of. MM did work in the Radioplane factory, building target drones. Radioplane was started by the actor Reginald Denny, who was a model airplane enthusiast and who owned a hobbyshop in Hollywood. Radioplane became Northrop Ventura, an early leader in UAVs.
View attachment 714563
Shameless plug: Here is a link to a video of WW2 drones being used on a carrier:

View: https://youtu.be/eHRIjL3-HGE

Check this collection by Alfred T. Palmer with genuine photos from Inglewood and Fairfax - those girls/women are real workers and many of them are nice, really nice. Their hairdos are for sure not staged for the photo only.
Cheers!
I am not questioning if the women in question worked there. Rather, the comment re no safety goggles or similar prompted my comment about staged photos. If they were doing a publicity photo they may have taken them off for 'artistic' reasons given bo actual physical work was being done at the time of the photo.

Rather, the comment re no safety goggles or similar prompted my comment about staged photos.
Those kinds of accouterments were not common in WWII factories. I have seen pictures of factory workers spray painting P-39 doors with neither goggles nor even dust masks.
Note the attached photo of propellant loading of the Bell X-1 and the extensive safety precautions and careful use of personal protective equipment. And Chuck Yeager had to scrounge a football helmet!

X-1FuelingHiRes-2 m4CROP.jpg

I am not questioning if the women in question worked there. Rather, the comment re no safety goggles or similar prompted my comment about staged photos. If they were doing a publicity photo they may have taken them off for 'artistic' reasons given bo actual physical work was being done at the time of the photo.
I wasn't answering/quoting your post but the one of MIflyer. But now after re-reading your post (I suspect most, if not all, were staged photos for the camera at the time), then again: No, not all of those photos with working women were staged - check the above mentioned photo collection.

Last edited:
View attachment 714563

Thanks, the trouble with old age is sometimes you forget unimportant information (and even important but I will not admit to that).

marilynmonroe_-_yankarmyweekly-jpg.jpg
That engine looks like a shrunk down copy of the engines used in the old Aeronca C-type "Flying Bathtub" sport planes.

Last edited:
View attachment 714563
I probably couldn't ever find it again but I've seen a story where Marilyn Monroe described the photoshoot at Radioplane. She worked doping fabric and the photographer took her out of her shop to get the photo with the propeller; the propeller being used as a photo prop. He also had her change out of her coveralls. I once found an old brochure from a supplier in Southern California that had some very attractive women, nicely dressed, posing in a warehouse. I showed it to a co-worker and said "These must be models, not real employees." He said "It's LA, all the would be actresses have jobs while they wait to be discovered."

Last edited:
I probably couldn't ever find it again but I've seen a story where Marilyn Monroe described the photoshoot at Radioplane. She worked doping fabric and the photographer took her out of her shop to get the photo with the propeller; the propeller being used as a photo prop. I once found an old brochure from a supplier in Southern California that had some very attractive women, nicely dressed. posing in a warehouse. I showed it to a co-worker and said "These must be models, not real employees." He said "It's LA, all the would be actresses have jobs while they wait to be discovered."
Ahh miss Monroe....

article-2380152-1B054062000005DC-244_634x791.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back