Girls and Aircraft - Volume II (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Status
Not open for further replies.

Somewhere I have a ww2 or soon after USAAF safety manual that I thought I scanned and posted here - will go looking.

There was a comment on this or another thread a few days back on where have all the good looking girls gone.

Back then they walked to school and then to work and did not eat junk food and seldom drank lolly water

Now they sit their fat ***** in a car to go more than a few hundred metres starting in school, eat lots of junk food (starting before they even go to school) and guzzle lots of lolly water from the time they can sit up and hold a sippy cup

Somewhere I have a ww2 or soon after USAAF safety manual that I thought I scanned and posted here - will go looking.

Well I found part of it on an old backup disc - so I will have to find the original again and rescan it. I only have the first 27 scanned pages at present and pure luck eye safety is on page 27 (section IV page 2)

Last edited:
from what little is visible of the rear spar - possibly a Hawker product in a training school, not a factory or repair shop. Front spar says probably not Hawker.

Definitely a posed photo as no one in a production environment would be grabbing the fragile folded sheet metal base rib and the base of a rudder bow tube vices while drilling. Note also the damage to the base of the rudder leading edge

I'm gonna say that's a Dehavilland repair or school facility.
Take a look at GTX's picture again.
Notice the spars. Notice how they taper down towards the left of the picture, but the thicker sections are to the right.
In those days, the thinking was still that the teardrop shape was the most aerodynamic.
Initially, I thought she was drilling from the rudder into the vertical stabilizer, but look closely at that pictue.
It's actually the other way around.
So what does that have to do with Dehavilland?

I give you, the DH.95 Flamingo....

...look very closely at the tail section. Notice how much of the vertical stabilizer is rudder.
To me, it looks just like what Ruby May is working on.
"But it can't be, we don't see the cutaway and attachments for the trim tabs!" You say?
That's because GTX's picture doesn't show enough of that part of the tail. Those trim tabs would be outside of the picture.
Remember, trailing edge is towards the left (where the trim tabs would locate), the leading edge is towards the right of that picture.
"But its a transport! That rudder woud be HUGE!" You say?
The Flamingo wasn't that large. According to Wiki, it grossed out to only 18K lbs. About the same as a Lodestar.

So, I say it's the rudder from a DH.95. That's what I think anyway.

Last edited:
I looked at the photo trying to see if I could guess what it is. I didn't even notice the damage.
I never even heard of the DH.95 before.
Another surprise to me is the tear drop shape isn't the most aerodynamic.

Remember, trailing edge is towards the left (where the trim tabs would locate), the leading edge is towards the right of that picture.
I agree with you that on the right side is the fin and on the left side is the rudder. But check the bottom of the fin - it's not rounded but straight. Like a part to be mounted on top of a something (fuselage). The whole part is not elliptical at all (as the one of the Flamingo). The rudder is also not too large - we see the bottom of it and where the rounded trailing edge ends. IMHO it's from a smaller airplane.

P.S. For comparison: the tail fin of the Flamingo and the people nearby:

Last edited:
Not saying you're not right, but it appears to me, the bottom of what she's working on seems to attach to something, as if it's a piece of a larger structure. Maybe what's missing here is the rounded bottom section you mentioned.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread