Girls and Aircraft - Volume II

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember being on an Hawaiian airlines flight back in 1998 or 1999 (DC-9-50 IIRC) in which the Captain was female. Usually, as you enter the aircraft, it's often possible to see into the cockpit and I remember that because it sticks out.

Because the inter-island flights on Hawaiian airlines at least didn't have a first-class cabin, it was kind of like a first-come, first-serve kind of deal and I was one of the first people on the plane. I picked a spot in the front 1/3 of the plane if I recall. Either way the flight was very short (Honolulu to Kauai) and I don't think we even leveled off. It felt like we were climbing and then descending. On the way in and out, I remember being able to easily feel the exact moment we started descending.

As I was heading down the jetway I could hear two people walking at a good clip behind me and I kind of moved out of the way and it was the pilot and co-pilot. I've never seen the crew get out the plane that quickly but I remember hearing the Captain saying something about getting lunch. What was really noteworthy was the discrepancy in the two people.

The F/O was an Asian-American/Hawaiian guy who was short/average height and powerfully built, kind of like a football player; the Captain looked similar to a social studies teacher I had in 8th grade, except her hair was a little lighter. She was thin but really tall. I remember thinking that was kind of funny for some reason.

That's a really cool design and kind of reminds me of the Vampire mixed in with GA aircraft. Looking at the data on the plane, it seemed rather underpowered with a climb-rate that isn't terribly impressive. That said, the fact that it was stressed for a 9G limit load-factor is pretty cool.
It's interesting how bathing suits in those days looked more like dresses. When I first saw the image, I thought it was a dress lol.

I learned something today I never gave any thought on who was the 1st woman to design an aircraft. Apparently it was E. Lillian Todd and earlier than I would have thought.

E. Lillian Todd sitting behind the wheel of her brainchild. This turn of the century inventor was the first woman who became an aeronautical engineer (self-taught); so her biplane was accordingly the first one designed by any woman (1909-10).

Source Aviation Rapture

Also
Madame Raymonde de Laroche in her Voisin aeroplane in 1909

Raymonde de Laroche (22 August 1882 – 18 July 1919) was a French pilot, thought to be the first woman to pilot a plane. She became the world's first licensed female pilot on 8 March 1910.

She received the 36th aeroplane pilot's licence issued by the Aeroclub de France, the world's first organization to issue pilot licences. At the time, pilot licences were only required for pilots operating aircraft for commercial purposes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread