Gliders Photos

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

There fun. 0 to 60 in approx. 2.5 seconds whilst bouncing on a grass field and balancing on one wheel. Standing start to about 2,000ft in around 30 seconds.
How long is your launch field? As a kid I rode through a couple winch rides in the hellhole of a Schweizer TG2 (SGS 2-8), and on a 5,000 ft strip, the best we could do was 1200 ft altitude on the CG hook and 1000 ft on the nose hook. The ship was a lightweight "floater" limited to 72 MPH on tow, and it sure felt like a cat shot at the start. MGTOW 850 pounds with two aboard.

Clearly it depended on the field, conditions and the Glider you are using. Most of my training was on a Capstan before moving to a K13 / K21. Solo in a Pirat before moving on to the K23 and Discus. 60 knots would be the normal winch speed, any less 55 knots and we would indicate that the winch operator would need to speed up

At Culdrose we had the full length main runway and the same at Daedalus. At the Midland Club the cable was over a mile long which was interesting as it wasn't a runway or even a strip in the normal sense. Generally speaking less than 1,600 ft would be considered a little disappointing, again depending on the conditions.

Most of my training was on a Capstan before moving to a K13 / K21. Solo in a Pirat before moving on to the K23 and Discus.
There's a bunch of names I've never heard of. About the only British glider I'm familiar with is Slingsby Skylark, and then only by sight. My variety of experience is pretty limited. (1-26, 2-32 & 2-33 Schweizers, KA6 & ASK21 Schleikers, IS28B Lark, and Grob 103.

Some of them are the same. The ASK21 is what we call the K21 and the Grob 103 we know as the Twin Astir. Our club did have a Twin Astir but I didn't like and tried to avoid it if possible. It could have been just ours but I found it very heavy on the controls if you tried to thermal.
The Schweizers are very few and far between in the UK, I cannot remember seeing one.

The Schweizers are very few and far between in the UK, I cannot remember seeing one.
Back in my day they were the backbone of American glider training.

Our club did have a Twin Astir but I didn't like and tried to avoid it if possible. It could have been just ours but I found it very heavy on the controls if you tried to thermal.
Ours were both very light, almost "twitchy" in pitch, but rather heavy in roll, with a very light and powerful rudder, which meant keeping the string straight was definitely an acquired skill. I found it much easier to transition Schweizer 2-33 trained pilots into the ASK21 than the Grob.
The one I really enjoyed was the Lark. As an unreconstructed power pilot and a Johnny-come-lately to gliders, I felt right at home in it, with its heavier but well balanced controls, retractable landing gear, flaps, and spoilers that had nearly identical glide path control response to a T34's throttle. I could thermal the Lark better than any of the others, even once outclimbing a Schleiker KA6 in a shared thermal. I never got a chance to "duel" with a Schweizer 1-26, the acknowledged king of thermallers this side of the pond. The Lark couldn't penetrate as well as a glass slipper, but was more agile and tighter in a thermal, had powerful ailerons, and was built hell for stout (except its tender landing gear).
Those were the days.

Users who are viewing this thread