Gliders Photos

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Glider

Captain
Apr 23, 2005
Lincolnshire
I haven't been able to take many photos recently and have just taken it up again and thought I might share some with you. Last weekend was the Scampton Airshow which had a number of interesting aircraft but the weather was pretty poor with 10/10ths cloud all day, some rain and a cloud base of between 2-3000 ft plus a wind which limited the displays.

However here are the first few

The first are the Hunter team which had some unexpected good news. The Hunters already operate the Hunter and have permission to use the F4 of which two are being refurbshed for flying. The unexpected news is that the Buccaneer and the Su22 are ready to fly and are run up on a regular basis. Whats stopping them is they need a commercial contract and then the paperwork has to be finalised which is a significant hurdle. As they are military jets that have to operate on the military register they need the agreement of various arms control bodies before they can fly.
The demand is increaseing because they often use ECM and other electronic packages in their work and integrating these onto a modern fly by wire aircraft takes a lot of time and money as they can impact the aircraft. Being old school aircrft this isn't nearly as big a risk. It would be nice to see an F4 in the air again, its been a while since I saw one.

I have never been close to an Su22 and have to say its pretty untidy with so much stuff on the wings I am amazed they got off the ground.

Hunter Team Bucc.jpg
Hunter Team F4F.jpg
Hunter Team Hunter.jpg
Hunter Team SU 22.jpg

I appreciate your comments, many thanks and if you can go next time I suggest you do. Its a family oriented display not all the aircraft are heavy metal and they do encourage children.
As shown below
Children Tanks.jpg
Children.jpg
Gazelle Children.jpg

The other unexpected treat for me was the Swedish participation. I always smile when I see the Trainer version of the Draken, I cannot help but think that the instructor must have had a lot of faith in the pupils.
The Viggen will always remind of a Farnborough airshow I went to in the19700's when the fashion was to show short take off's. All the aircraft were trying to outdo each other. The Jaguar display went one better than the rest and did a short take off from the grass. To beat this the Viggen took off downwind.
Swdish Lansen.jpg
Swedish Draken.jpg
Swedish Saab 29 Tunnan.jpg
Swedish Viggen.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back