"God's Samurai - Lead Pilot At Pearl Harbor" by Gordon W. Prange

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

vikingBerserker

Lieutenant General
Apr 10, 2009
South Carolina
"God's Samurai - Lead Pilot At Pearl Harbor"
by Gordon W. Prange (with Goldstein Dillon)
Potomac Books- 2004
ISBN: 978-1-57488695-5

Gods Sam.jpg

Finding books from the perspective of Japanese Pilots has always been a struggle for me and currently only own a handful of them ("Samurai" about Saburō Sakai and "The Divine Wind" by Inoguchi Nakajima).

This is another one. The book is about Mitsuo Fuchida, the lead pilot for the attack on Pearl Harbor from his early life to his death as a Christian Minister.

The book totals 349 pages divided into 38 Chapters, Sections for Appendix, Notes Bibliography with 29 photos, however the book can be divided into 2 main sections, Early Life/WW2 (first 183 pages) and Post WW2/Conversion to Christianity.

The first section was really fascinating and provided excellent behind the scenes of the Japanese planning of Pearl Harbor, their defeat at Midway and the slow conclusion of the war. The 2nd part of the book was interesting to see how the rest of his life played out, however it is heavily religious so if it's not a topic that interests you that section might be a hard read. To me I felt the first section alone was well worth it and I really enjoyed it.

If you are interested in the accounts of Japanese WW2 pilots this is a good choice. IMO it's not as good as "Samurai", but it will add to your knowledge and understanding of them.

Last edited:
Mitsuo Fuchida was surely an interesting person, especially in his later life as an Christian.
Thanks for sharing, vB. I have found his active image with the mustache in the movie "Tora! Tora! Tora!":)

Mitsuo_Fuchida_in_ToraToraTora02.jpg
Mitsuo_Fuchida_in_ToraToraTora01.jpg

lead pilot title is interesting, while Fuchida was indeed a pilot and the overall leader/commander he actually did not fly 'his' Kate AI-301 he sat in the observers position for the attack.

Fuchida was more a brilliant staff officer but also a very experienced avaitor. he worked closely with Genda to develop the attack plans on Pearl Harbour, turning the theory into a practical attack. In my opinion, Pearl Harbour remains the most perfectly planned attack plan for carriers for the entire war, though its completion was prevented by Nagumos timidity

Fuchida was the officer who falshed the signalled "Tora Tora Tora" immedialty before the attack

Users who are viewing this thread

Back