Greatest aircraft ever?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Nonskimmer said:
It's been done. I think the F-15 usually came out on top. Depends on the pilots, too.

Yeah i would have expected that, the F-15 is far more maneuverable.

Soren said:
Nonskimmer said:
It's been done. I think the F-15 usually came out on top. Depends on the pilots, too.

Yeah i would have expected that, the F-15 is far more maneuverable.

What's amazing is that the F-22 is reported to be able to take on 8+ F-15s at one time and win.

From what I've come to understand, the two major things holding back the F-22 were congress and the engines. That is, the engines that were intended for the production model needed some extra development.

Then of course, with the end of the Cold War it wasn't considered such a priority anymore. It seems like such an awesome fighter!

It will be a sad day when the army switch from using manned fighters to un-manned fighters :(

God knows for how long the F-22 will stay in service once its there !
I don't think it will be long before it will be un-manned fighters controlling the skies instead.

cheddar cheese said:
Wow...I have heard much about the F-22 but seen little...

I think we see a little more here in the states and my dad still gets the Air Force magazine (a semi internal magazine) which comes to me a month or so later which helps. My favorite planes are still piston powered. In the 70s I had a chance to see P-38's, P-51's, Sea Furies, Corsairs and even 1 year a C-54 (DC-4 4 engine transport) race. It was so cool!

An interesting tid-bit I picked up from the history channel - at the 1949 Cleveland air races the pilots/owners tried to make the race more compettetive by having the P-38's fly in their own class! Three of the competetors were F2Gs the 3,000 horse Corsairs. The winner was F2G #57 which is now flying in Arizona. The P-38s came in 4th and 5th in front of all the P-51's etc. but behind two F2Gs and a "Highly Modified" P-39!

The F2G wouldbe a hard one to beat. It was running the R-4360 Pratt and Whitney engine in it. That was 4 rows of cylinders! 3,000 horsepower in that airframe is a recipe for speed.

Attachments

• fg2small_139.jpg
    fg2small_139.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 433
It wont' work all the sides of the cylinders are missing :lol:

I love cut aways that engine is a work of art

how about a WW 2 engine ? slightly weatherd but what an incredible find by some German associates.

Bf 110G-2 shot down by P-51's of the 354th fg in Decmber 1943. the Bf 110 was on the tail of some B-17's ready to pounce when in trun got nailed....

DB605Engine.gif

Greatest aircraft ever?
Wright brothers first powered model although heavier than air machines had flown before them , it was their's that all power drive aircraft followed on from so it is for me the greatest ever aircraft.
just for that famous first step.

Attachments

• wr6g13_558.jpg
    wr6g13_558.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 373

Users who are viewing this thread

Back