Greatest Carrier-Born Dive Bomber of WW II...

Greatest Carrier-Based Dive Bomber of WW II...

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Dude - the Ju 87E made a significant contribution to the war effort. Actually, it sunk HMS Hood.

That's not the way I recall the account of the sinking. To my knowlege
there was no aircraft involved......

This from Wiki....

The first shots were fired at a range of about fourteen miles. The Hood raced toward the Bismarck in an attempt to close the range and reduce the time Hood's decks were exposed to plunging fire. Initially Hood engaged Prinz Eugen instead of Bismarck, a mistake the Prince of Wales did not repeat. The German ships quickly found the range to the Hood and she was hit first by an 8 inch (203mm) shell from Prinz Eugen on the boat deck which ignited 4 inch (102 mm) ammunition and UP rockets, causing a fire to burn out of control endangering the ship. Shortly after this, the Prinz Eugen shifted her aim to the Prince of Wales, in accordance with a semaphore order from Bismarck.[9] At about 0600 (0601 in German reckoning), Hood signalled a 20-degree turn to port which would have brought the aft turrets of the British ships into action. However, as the Hood began her turn, she was struck by one or more shells of Bismarck's fifth salvo, fired from a distance of between 15 and 18 km (about 8 to 9.5 nautical miles).[10] Almost immediately, a huge jet of flame burst out of Hood from the vicinity of the mainmast.[11] This was followed by a devastating explosion that destroyed the after part of the ship. The stern rose and sank rapidly before Hood's bow section reared up in the sea before it too sank.

Charles

That's not the way I recall the account of the sinking. To my knowlege
there was no aircraft involved......

This from Wiki....

The first shots were fired at a range of about fourteen miles. The Hood raced toward the Bismarck in an attempt to close the range and reduce the time Hood's decks were exposed to plunging fire. Initially Hood engaged Prinz Eugen instead of Bismarck, a mistake the Prince of Wales did not repeat. The German ships quickly found the range to the Hood and she was hit first by an 8 inch (203mm) shell from Prinz Eugen on the boat deck which ignited 4 inch (102 mm) ammunition and UP rockets, causing a fire to burn out of control endangering the ship. Shortly after this, the Prinz Eugen shifted her aim to the Prince of Wales, in accordance with a semaphore order from Bismarck.[9] At about 0600 (0601 in German reckoning), Hood signalled a 20-degree turn to port which would have brought the aft turrets of the British ships into action. However, as the Hood began her turn, she was struck by one or more shells of Bismarck's fifth salvo, fired from a distance of between 15 and 18 km (about 8 to 9.5 nautical miles).[10] Almost immediately, a huge jet of flame burst out of Hood from the vicinity of the mainmast.[11] This was followed by a devastating explosion that destroyed the after part of the ship. The stern rose and sank rapidly before Hood's bow section reared up in the sea before it too sank.

Charles

Charles he was kidding. pD knows that the Hood was sunk by the Bismark and that there were no carrier born Ju-87s.

:lol:

He was mocking someone else....

I am going to go with the SBD because it was able to be land or carrier based. It did a lot of damage to Japanese ships and also, as Swede Vejtasa proved it was able to dogfight with Zero's and other fighters. It was an all around great plane that was able to deliver its payload and fight its way back to its carrier...Also, it proved as a good scout airplane early on in the war.

I believe that the B7a Grace was armoured, structurally more sound than those aircraft it replaced, and more fire retardant a well. If all this is true, than it is obvious this aircraft is superior. It s performanc is at leas t generation better tan the SBD. The only thing I would say is that by the time the design was finalised, divebombing was not viewed with the same reverance that had prviously been. A divebomber is a vulnerable target, especially to flak.

I am also not sure that the Grace was a great divebomber, because it was a dual role aircraft. This is usually a rcipe for disaster.

Blackburn Skua - just to be controversial. Mind you it did work, after a fashion.

Blackburn Skua

.. but I must say that I think the Brits failed to take the Blackburns and the Boulton Pauls, get rid of their silly turrets (where appropriate), and make them into half decent carrier borne fighters.

Its not that far-fetched, and they were no good for the RAF after all.

Imagine if all the Defiants had been given even 2 or 4 fwd firing guns, dump the turret, and other Navalisation features like a landing hook ?

It would have really helped early on in the Atlantic when Sea Hurricanes were mostly knackered ex-RAF lash ups, or shot off Catapaults on a one way trip !

Hey what about the British Barracuda? Sank the "Tirpitz" you know! {revenge for those nasty Stuka's sinking the "Hood"! :D }

OK, well at least they helped....

Stukas didn't sink the Hood...

The guys have been jokin' around about the Hood, Kool...

Dude - the Ju 87E made a significant contribution to the war effort. Actually, it sunk HMS Hood.

Yup - 1800kg bomb. You don't think the Bismark was able to do that with it's infantile 15" guns do you?

All these stories about the Hood, the plot thickens. Someone's lying...

I thought the Hood sank cause someone fogot to put the drain plug in...

Yes Kool K, it was dormant for about a half year before somone re-started it with a brilliant informative analysis....

Another informative post!

Come on people. If you are going to open up an old thread, please make it worth it.

But I was serious about the Barracuda, it was a neat aircraft, could be used as TB or DB. Not that I am an expert by any means. :confused:

Yep not a bad bird. But the Helldiver could double as a topedo bomber as well.

And I noticed the thread was dormant I just hadn't read back...
And that post was truely informative. :lol: As was the following one.

Back to the question.

The SBD may have to be nominated as the single aircraft that contributed the most to the fortunes of WWII over four days as any aircraft other than the B-29.

Other than that the Beast was a more capable wepon system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back